Getting rid of those Citroen trim rattles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

Getting rid of those Citroen trim rattles

Post by CITMAN »

Anyone have any ideas how one could get rid of those nasty trim rattles that citroens seem to get with old age. by the way the car is a zx but doubt it matter anyway.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I'd be interested as well. Headlining has just started creaking on mine, which is to be expected with the mileage, but it'd be nice if it didn't..
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Cits seem to suffer from having dashboard and other components comprised of several different plastic assemblies. these will in time work loose and rattle against each other. More modern cars use manufacturing techniques designed to cut down on the number of components, both to reduce cost and prevent rattles....
Blutack seems to work in many cases - a thin layer applied before reassembly will often stop trim panels rattling by taking up any slack.
On the peugeot 205, it was a main dealer mod to apply mastic between the different dashboard components to cut down the rattles on even new cars.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have silenced a number of trim rattles on my BX with silicon spray squirted between the joints - If they are going to fret they will do it anyway so if they are lubricated they will do it quietly!
Jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

A trick from Mercedes is to use a layer of felt glued to one side, so the plastics don't actually touch.
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

Would this explain a windscreen rattle?