Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate - Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate - Issues

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well got the train up to Blackpool yesterday to collect the car I won on ebay, not seen it in the flesh but had a long chat with the seller over the phone so felt I knew all the issues with the car, so bid accordingly. (Also only bought a one way ticket, as the seller sounded genuine on the phone) Can you see where this is going..........

Firstly the seller was a genuine bloke and I do believe there was no intent to hide any of the "numerous" problems with the car.

Got to the point where I was actually showing him the faults, so that I could back out of the sale. Including a test drive to show him why the back suspension was not working. Well long story short, I bought the car for a reduced price hoping that I can fix the issues, but mainly because I had no way of getting home.
(Got a reduced rate single for £7.50 going, but they were about £60 for a return)

Therefore once again I'm going to rely on the generosity and assistance of the FCF, which was shown before when I successfully got the Xantia V6 back on the road with a full MOT.

List of faults below:

1) Rear suspension does not move at all (well maybe a small amount). Put the car on lowest settings and the car is level. On high and the car is pointing upwards :-D .
Hoping that's just rear spheres. Which by all accounts can be a bugger to remove.

2) Carpet in the boot was absolutely sodden, the foam was at saturation point and cant absorb any more.
Going to dry the carpet out and then have a go at this fix

3) Rear Windows do not work, but sunroof does. Button on dash to lock rear windows lights up so seems to be power to the circuit.
Any relays/fuses to check.

4) Interior lights do not work, but the microswitch seems OK, as get the dash warning when the door is open.
As per above, any fuses/relays to check.

5) No washer jets. Thought I'd run out of water as could here the pump, but turns out there has been a repair and the pipe has been cable tied a little to tightly and the pipe is constricted blocked.
Hopefully an easy fix.

6) Leather in need of a good clean
I think I may start to use DEX as a parts car for this, so swap the seats over and a few other bits and pieces.

7) N/S dipped beam not working
Hopefully just a bulb

8) Front fog lights not working. (though rears fine)
Hopefully just bulbs

9) Lower level lights on the heater controls not working
Just an annoyance, but may swap the bulbs

10) Can I put the radio out of an S1 into an S2, and still keep all the functionality on the steering wheel.
Prefer the S1 radio with the Aux input, also dont like the flappy cover thing. Then again it did act as a nice platform for my phone yesterday, when using it as a Sat Nav to get out of Blackpool.

11) Passengers and Drivers front window switches on drivers door are the wrong way round.
Both work, but just peculiar that they have been swapped.

12) Fuel Economy :?:
May be an issue with this but have brimmed that tank to check. Just seemed to use more fuel that I was expecting on the way home

However, apart from all of the above very happy. Car's engine appears to be spot on and drives very well. Noticeably quicker that my 1.9TD with a lot more torque. Just need to get the above sorted.

As always any suggestions and assistance gratefully received.

Thanks again

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate - Issues

Post by Chris570 »

Well mine wasn't perfect when i got it but it'll be worth it in the end :)
1. I would suspect rear HC is seized. mine was :(
3. I'd check that voltage is getting to the motors, is only a 2 min job to get the door card off to check
4. Check bulbs
5.maybe pointing out the obvious but they could be frozen (woman i work with has hers still frozen after 2 weeks (sodding frod))
6. I'm not 100% but i don't think you can put s1 leather in an s2 with the airbag /side airbag config. clean it up :)
7. yeah most likely
8. check the fuses under the bonnet as you'll probably find one is blown (if it is pull the pink relay out)
9. Mine too, cba to change it
10. iirc the controls won't work.
11. some plank has had the door card off and swapped the wiring, if it takes you more than 30 seconds to fix you need help :P
12. i'd ignore this as she's got her bum on the floor so the gauge will be reading wrong :)

Sorry for the long list, but as i said well worth the effort i love my HDi estate, best car i've ever owned by a long way
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

okay dave.. a couple of answers for you... the actual height corrector wont be siezed theycnever do.. its the two linkage levers that control the height corrector that will be siezed. .. also flat spheres causeing the movment restrction... get the car on ramps and good ramps and get under the car... it is possible to free the levers but it takes a lot.. its better to remove the unit from the car.. better still if you wish ill send you a freed up one for your siezed one... replace rear spheres...

as for radios.. yes s1 radios will fit as long as your current xant has the s2 full front radio with no flap on the front... however.. s2 wheel controls are different and do not work with s1 radios...

You NEED to get the levers freed to get the rear working nicely before attempting to remove the rear spheres, as the car needs to be put on HIGH to tighten the cylinders up to slicken the spheres a quarter turn before lowering and releasing pressure to remove them...

Have a look HERE at VertaVegas linkage diagram, Lever where the plastic clip attaches too needs to be free and the other by the "71".. any stickyness needs to be removed useually with pleanty of leverage and WD40... 71 are the mounting points, well hidden on the subframe.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:You NEED to get the levers freed to get the rear working nicely before attempting to remove the rear spheres, as the car needs to be put on HIGH to tighten the cylinders up to slicken the spheres a quarter turn before lowering and releasing pressure to remove them...
Cheers Paul.

Major edit: as got the wrong end of the stick. Forgot the levers were on the RHC and thought the rods were the bits that needed to be replaced..

Are all RHC's the same as have one I purchased a while ago, that has free movement. (Will try and clean the one in situ first though)

How easy are they to replace?? Remember finding some instructions before about the Front one and needing a flared 8mm? spanner.

Cheers

- Dave -
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

yes the lever cradles are all the same.. theres 3x torx30 bolts.. and if you are carefull enough you can get tbem off without disturbing the height corrector at all!! the trickey part is when assembling getting the end of the hc sitting in the perfectly correct part of the levers.. probably is best to get the whole lot off. . easyer to set the hc up on the bench in the new cradle.. theres only two 8mm flares and a leak return to remove... as long as the pipe flares come undone okay.. they can by bloody stupid tight...!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

gadgetgricey wrote:... 2) Carpet in the boot was absolutely sodden, the foam was at saturation point ...
If the tailgate plastic membrane leaking then you'll get a "well saturated" carpet and even a small pond at the rear passenger's footwell :roll:
Check also under the rear passenger's seat for traces of water.
gadgetgricey wrote:...
5) No washer jets ...
8) Front fog lights not working....
They are behind the same fuse. Worth checking the fuse which is in the engine bay fuse box.
F6 - 30A - GREEN
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

If the inside lights still don't work after checking bulbs etc,make sure the bulb holder's a good fit on the lamp fited to the door pillars. Mine were a loose fit and bending the wee tags out took up the slack and got a good contact. I had no issues with the map reading lamps above the doors however.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

First Update:

Suspension:

Just taken the wife to work and realised something about the suspension. Sometimes it seems fine and glides over bumps as it should. Other times it on the bump stops at the rear. Also seems to be worst at slow speeds.
Not adjusted the height selector at all.

However at stationary, car will not rise at the rear.

Hoping to have a look at the car this afternoon/tomorrow, dependant on how long the track rod ends on the wife's scenic takes.

Does the rear height corrector still seem a safe bet.

Thanks again

- Dave -
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Yep still sounds like the H.C.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well update time as was allowed a couple of hours in the garage :-D :-D

1) Rear suspension does not move at all (well maybe a small amount). Put the car on lowest settings and the car is level. On high and the car is pointing upwards :-D .
As mentioned above this appears to be the rear height controller, as when moved/forced "directly"the car falls and rises as required, Going to replace next weekend, but want to try and get some of the pipe seals from Citroen so everything then should be hunky dory.
Anyone know the code as does not appear to be listed on the citroen parts system

2) Carpet in the boot was absolutely sodden, the foam was at saturation point and cant absorb any more.
Got the mastic sealing tape on order for next weekend

3) Rear Windows do not work, but sunroof does. Button on dash to lock rear windows lights up so seems to be power to the circuit.
Not yet checked

4) Interior lights do not work, but the microswitch seems OK, as get the dash warning when the door is open.
Sorted

5) No washer jets. Thought I'd run out of water as could here the pump, but turns out there has been a repair and the pipe has been cable tied a little to tightly and the pipe is constricted blocked.
Sorted, just needed to redo the pipes

6) Leather in need of a good clean
I think I may start to use DEX as a parts car for this, so swap the seats over and a few other bits and pieces.
Swapped the back seats, but leaving the front seats for the moment..... Will swap at some point though

7) N/S dipped beam not working
Was just a bulb

8) Front fog lights not working. (though rears fine)
Forgot to check #-o

10) Can I put the radio out of an S1 into an S2, and still keep all the functionality on the steering wheel.
Going to try and source a Citroen/Pug Cd Player, so can keep the steering wheel controls.

11) Passengers and Drivers front window switches on drivers door are the wrong way round.
Think the door has been welded as some point and the electrics amended. Not just a standard plug. Additional wires in there as well. So left for the moment,

Noticed a few other things that make me believe that one of the previous owners was a bit of a "bodge merchant" as there appears to be wiring stuff behind the drivers side C pillar, but will leave that till later.
At least I have DEX as a point of reference or parts car if needed. Already nicked the Bulb and washer jet bits to fix points above. :oops:

Looks like its going well, just need to get the seals for the RHC and gen up on the process for next weekend.

Cheers

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Rear Height Corrector swapped this afternoon :x :x

How can what looks like an easy job, turn into a #-o so easily.

Of the three bolts holding the RHC to the car, the most difficult one to get at caused the least amount of hassle.

Dropped the spare wheel to give me better access, but the back two bolts were stuck solid. Copious amounts of WD40, got one of them moving (eventually), but the other was stuck so much that I eventually rounded the head off.

The had to drill it out, which is always fun........

Old RHC "cradle" removed, and new one installed. Seems to be working fine, but have not yet tested fully, because only got two of the torx screws fitted.

In work till 14:00 tomorrow, so going to try and find and fit the remaining bolt tomorrow.

Then onwards and upwards to the remaining issues.....

Hopefully the tailgate will be easier.

Cheers

- Dave -
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Just a little tip: PlusGas will, I find, enable almost any tight nut / bolt etc to be released. But PG comes in tins and it's difficult to use 'upwards'. I have transferred mine to a squeezy bottle so I can use it for items needing to be attacked from below.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Your photo makes the tin image look rather phallic...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

OK. Had some more time this afternoon so finished off the RHC.
Sourced another bolt and then was able to test - Problem.................

Thought it had fixed it as the rear of the car goes up and down, which it did not do before.

However now it just goes from low to high setting when moving from position 1 to position 2.

In effect "Normal", "High" and "Wheel Change/High" setting are all the same.
Front of the car moves up in stages, but the rear just has the two variations.

What have I done wrong, and what adjustment can be made?????????

Thanks again

- Dave -

Also fitted the CD player I bought off ebay. Code works but it doesn't read the CD's. All in all a :twisted: weekend.

Unhappy of Halesowen