Common places for boost leaks on C5 2.2 HDi?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Vulpinity
My Cars:

Common places for boost leaks on C5 2.2 HDi?

Post by Vulpinity »

Think I have found the cause for my C5 feeling a bit less than sprightly - was driving with the window open for possibly the first time since I've had the car, and could hear a rather distinct 'Woooooooosh' when under load, exactly the same as a couple of my other turbo cars did when boost was escaping.

Any common places to look before I go around driving myself nutty checking everything? Still trying to get my head around the whole intake layout, as it looks like the air car take two routes to the inlet manifold, one route bypassing the intercooler entirely. :shock:

The area around the base of the intercooler looks rather mucky indeed, with a matching splat of oily gunk on the intake pipe which runs next to it. Worth checking?
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Common places for boost leaks on C5 2.2 HDi?

Post by Lighty »

Oil leaks at the bottom of the cooler, seem to help the hoses turn weak, certainly a good place to check.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Check the intercooler itself as they are prone to failing. If you can hear the 'woosh' as you call it, i would say the leak is nearer the turbo??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

corsehf wrote:Check the intercooler itself as they are prone to failing. If you can hear the 'woosh' as you call it, i would say the leak is nearer the turbo??
Intercooler failure does seem to be a common failure on these cars, currently have it myself. I do wonder if the resulting often repeated turbo overboost that can occur with swirlvalve actuator failure is responsible for blowing the intercooler which is the same part for the 2.0 ltr.
Might explain why intercooler failure seems to be common on 2.2's but not 2.ltrs.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC