Ride height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robin92
My Cars:

Ride height

Post by robin92 »

Hi!
I have problem with to get right height in the back.
When I high it to highest and then set the reglage at between normal and high. The car dont sink front or back at all. I must go from normal to middle high.

And the normal height back is little high, I havnt change anything back just greasing it.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk
Xantia Activa 2.0 tct -96, Xantia Activa v6 - 00
Sorry for my bad English;)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Ride height

Post by Peter.N. »

I should try sending it from a computer we might be able to understand it then :wink:
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I assume you have a Xantia :mrgreen: this problem will be caused by the rear height mechanism sticking due to dirt and corrosion most likely, best way is too remove and leave to soak in a bucket of oil. This usually cleans it up and free's it off as they are getting pricey to replace now.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lighty wrote:I assume you have a Xantia :mrgreen:
Yes, Robin has an Activa :) And English is not his first language...

Robin, the intermediate height setting between normal and high never works on a Xantia. Also, on an Activa the rear can be very slow indeed to come down from high to normal ride height. Nothing at all to worry about if it does come down even if you have to help it down by applying a little weight to the tailgate. It's just an Activa characteristic and one shared by some Hydractive Xantias too in my experience. They can be very slow to rise up from low. Again that's normal.

For ride height a good test is to measure it with your fingers. At the front at normal height you should be able to fit three fingers between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch. At the rear you should just be able to fit one finger.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It could be several things, none serious thankfully.

Most likely it's seized up height corrector linkages, these are the metal arms with springs around them. One goes to the manual override rod (which is connected to the lever by your seat), the other goes to the anti-roll bar via a white plastic link which we call a dogbone because it looks like one, this provides the automatic height correction.
If the linkages seize up the dogbone can pop off/break which stops the automatic height correction from working. In worst cases the metal bar that is clamped to the anti-roll bar which the dogbone connects to can actually snap.
The linkages must move freely.

For the rear being slightly higher than it should be, it is either being held up by the linkages being seized, or the clamp on the anti-roll bar has moved, or the clamp on the end of the manual control rod is not in the right place so is pulling or pushing the linkage against the height corrector arm.
The height corrector arm has a square hole in the end, the manual linkage has a pip sticking out into that hole. When the manual lever is set to normal, that pip must be in the centre of the hole.

Remember, never go under the car unless it is supported securely as the suspension can drop suddenly and kill you!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry :oops:
robin92
My Cars:

Post by robin92 »

I fit 2 fingers back.
Can it be the regulator that are so dirty?
Btw I have pluged my activa ram beacause it is broken, can it been the problem?

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk
Xantia Activa 2.0 tct -96, Xantia Activa v6 - 00
Sorry for my bad English;)