C5 2.0 hdi drive off side drive shaft

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garrydog
My Cars:

C5 2.0 hdi drive off side drive shaft

Post by garrydog »

I think that I may have trouble with my right hand outer CV joint,I have had the symptoms a couple of times now.I was in a multi story car park, and on full right hand lock the wheel was jarring seriously, when I was leaving the car park I lowered the suspension to 24 mph at this setting the CV joint was OK .
I think that the only option is to change the drive shaft or CV joint ,I have changed drive shafts on a few cars, is it a similar job on the C5? I can get the outer CV joint at £19 is this a better option than changing the whole shaft.
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C5 2.0 hdi drive off side drive shaft

Post by CitroJim »

The Offside shaft is a little more complex because it has an intermediate bearing held in a cradle. This bearing can be a trial to get out at times. Just make sure the 'hockey sticks' are well clear and then use a big club hammer on the end of a blunt cold chisel. The bearling will then release.

The outer CV joint is easy to change and can be done in-situ as it's held onto the end of the shaft with a C clip. A new clip is recommended.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is more likely to be lower arm bush's shot, which is causeing one or both wheels to go out of track, as a CV loint will usualy give a clacking sound when failing,

regards malcolm
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

I may be wrong but it feels to me as though the CV joint is about to pop out ,its not the normal clacking a CV joint makes,its worse than that , Its like the wheel is going to lock up .Why should it be OK on the lower suspension setting? Will have to do a bit more reserch to find the problem.
Thanks for the replys David .
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

garrydog wrote:I may be wrong but it feels to me as though the CV joint is about to pop out ,its not the normal clacking a CV joint makes,its worse than that , Its like the wheel is going to lock up .Why should it be OK on the lower suspension setting? Will have to do a bit more reserch to find the problem.
Thanks for the replys David .
Mine does this a bit on hard (full-lock) right turns, always has. Not as severe as yours appears to be though.
Maybe needs tracking checked?

Droplinks, ball joints, track rod ends have all been renewed throughout my ownership with no change whatsoever.
Drive shafts and CV joints are fine.

The 24mph setting is a raised setting, not lowered. May be due to the alteration in suspension geometry that accompanies that setting although it is generally regarded as optimum with the driveshafts perfectly horizontal.
I'm heading out in a minute so will see if it has the same effect on mine.

Aditted to ed:
Tried it and it did seem to turn a bit more smoothly. The bouncing around wasn't particularly amusing though.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The LDS level is low, and turning to lock is taking all the fluid.
It doesn’t do it on the low setting because there’s more fluid in the tank.
It does it in other places as well, but covered parkings have slippery painted floors.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

Took my car onto an empty car park and drove it on full lock both left and right , slight noise on right hand lock but not as bad as it was in the multi story car park. I think I will let it develop a bit longer and see how it go's. How do I check the LDS levels?
Thanks for the help .
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If you have the translucent tank, rock the car sideways from the metal outside the radiator.
If the fluid sloshes around just above the tank seam at normal height, there’s enough of it.
If you have the black tank, set to low height and slowly open the cap, as there may be a hissing sound.
There should be fluid on the bottom of the cup.
If not, adding half a litre should be enough to test the steering again.
Leave the car on low when closing the cap, then return to normal height.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389