Citroen Sump Plug

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Roscoe
My Cars:

Citroen Sump Plug

Post by Roscoe »

My BX TZD oil sump plug has a square recess which is smaller than a 3/8 drive socket and larger than 1/4". I can't find any 'normal' socket drives that fit it..is there a special tool to remove the sump plug or do people just make their own? I've just started doing my own servicing on it since finally getting a suitable place to work on the car...city streets are a killer!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

These are special plugs - tools are available morm Machine mart - set for about £19 including VAT or Halfords (possibly individually - they used to do them.) Your friendly local accessory shop may do them as well. - they are a proper part so you won't feel daft asking for one!
jeremy
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

Thanks Jeremy...unfortunately I live in Australia so no Halfords or such here. I tried my local Repco DIY autoparts shop today but they never heard of them. I'll try some of the Aussie forums to see if they know of a supplier here.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

roscoe,
you might need to be ask for a sump plug socket or drain plug socket, check out http://www.drapertools.com/draper/Templ ... Screen.asp, enter as a guest, click on search button then enter the word "drain" and it then brings up pictures of oil sump drain plug sockets
dom
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Its probably going to be 8mm, there isn't a hexagonal head to it by any chance (you would have tried it if there were wouldn't you), later engines mostly have plugs with both 8mm socket hexagon (allen key) and 21mm external hexagon, ordinary socket.
Dave
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

Yeah, it looks like about an 8mm square socket - definitely not hex. Tranny and diff are the same. I'll check the links provided and see what they have. Suspect that somewhere back in the car's history the plugs may have been changed. Thanks for the info.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

By own experience - the BX's I have in my yard has no external hexagon on the sump plug - simply round ones with 8mm drive socket hole.
Lately I had to get a new sump plug - the square drive hole was rounded off - did'nt had the guts to refit it.
My local Cit dealer supplied me a new one - round edge - only the square drive hole (a bargain : £6.5 + vat - cu seal £1.6 + vat).
The diff sump plug does have the external hexagon.
A simple house doorhandle drive axle usually have exactly 8mm square rods [;)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

If Draper tools are sold in Australia they do a 3/8" drive 8mm square sump plug attachment - looks like a converter. Only problems with these are:
(1) I can never find even one of the two which I own whenever an oil change is due.
(2) Unless you're very careful your 3/8" drive handle gets a used-engine-oil bath.
If you can get the 8mm rod in sufficient length I'd be tempted to bend it into allen-key shape.
David
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

You might be able to obtain some 8mm square keysteel, usually it comes in 300mm lengths from industrial tooling suppliers.
andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If yor're really stuck its not too difficult to find something that could be held in a mole type wrench and filed to an 8mm square that would do this job.
Incidentally I have a plug with 8mm recess on my BX 1.7TD and my wife's 1.9D ZX has a plain (21?mm) hexagon head and its at the other end of the engine!
I also recall universal cast iron sump plug tools being sold - lost mine years ago but am sure that they had a suitable key on them.
Jeremy
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

It's definitely 8mm and these tools are available in every French supermarket for about £1 which is a useless bit of information for an Aussie !!! But someone did tell me that the square rod which joins door handles through the door is more often than not 8mm square so this and a mole wrench (or bend it to right angles like an Allen key?) could do the job.
when unable to find mine I have used the mole by itself on the outside of the plug
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

I use a bolt with the end ground to make an 8mm square. Easy to make and cheap.
Bob
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When ever I take on a new Cit, at its first oil change, if it has a round plug, I ditch it and fit a 21mm hex in its place. Hence, there are one or two spares kicking around on shelves.
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

I ground down a 3/8" socket extension and used that - took a bit of fiddling to get it right but it works. Will also check out my parts bin for a doorknob shaft and if I have one, will check it out and bend it to work.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
alexp-j
My Cars:

Post by alexp-j »

8MM Mild Steel Bar. Bent at 90 degrees. Been using it for a year and a half.