dispatch van running hot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dudarus1

dispatch van running hot

Post by dudarus1 »

im currently driving a dispatch van 1.9d 55 plate and when i first got it the heater didnt work very well and the temperature gauge wouldnt go up that turned out to be a faulty stat so replaced the stat for a new one now. now my heater is roasting but the engine temperature is at nearly 110 all the time which seems a little hot. anyway today whilst trying to keep up with my mate in a transit the temp light and stop light came on for about ten seconds then went out when i eased off the throttle. i think it might need bleeding as when i changed the stat i could only find one bleed point at the top pf the radiator on the right hand side. is there any other bleed points and whats the normal temp for this van.

thanks in advance
jake
Mobile Towbar Fitting Service In The Midlands
http://www.jninstallations.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheapest Prices Guaranteed
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: dispatch van running hot

Post by spider »

About 80 / 85 I would say is normal.

Fan should come on around 90 (low speed if its dual speed) and say 95 or a bit more for full speed.

There should be a bleed screw on the heater hose near the bulkhead if I remember correctly. There might be one on the thermostat housing, although I think the DW8's don't have this one.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

That could be a leaking head gasket, combustion gas getting into the coolant. As an initial test, with the engine upto temp, squeeze the top rad hose. If it's rock solid 10 to 1 it's the head gasket. There should be a bit of give in the hose if all is well.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
dudarus1

Post by dudarus1 »

its not rock solid and before i put the new stat in the engine was fine did 10000 miles with out using a drop of water or oil just the heater was crap
michael95r

Post by michael95r »

Not sure what to say, have you looked elsewhere for the answer? At times like these don't you feel like hitting it with a hammer?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Possibly incorrect thermostat supplied?

Even new ones can be faulty too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Possibly incorrect thermostat supplied?

Even new ones can be faulty too.
Indeed to goodness yes! Any engine fitted to this vehicle is likely to use a "top-hat" type 'stat wherein the top-hat part closes off a bypass channel when the main part of the 'stat opens. If a non- 'top-hat' type is used this bypass is never closed and the coolant takes a preferential short-circuit through the bypass channel and this leads to overheating.

A 'stat can be tested in a saucepan by gently heating it. By the time the water is beginning to bubble the 'stat should be starting to iopen and be fully open as the water approaches boiling...

It can be seen to close again as the water cools down.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dudarus1

Post by dudarus1 »

it looked like a top hat one that i put in.i might just leave it just did a 40 mile trip and it stayed at 100 on the gauge it doesnt use any water. the fan comes on at 110
dudarus1

Post by dudarus1 »

could it be the fact that the seal in the stat is the old one and was a bit bigger than the stat i managed to get it in there but it kept on popping off as i was trying to put the stat in
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Whatever it's not right and a 1.9D should not run that hot. It's not good for it.

I'm wondering if the old seal is obstruction it or preventing it fully opening.

Get another seal, get another 'stat, test it and fit it.

It may be the rad is not happy. Is the rad warm all over to the touch when the stat is open?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...