Does a C5 have heated washers jets?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Does a C5 have heated washers jets?

Post by waynedance »

As title ?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Does a C5 have heated washers jets?

Post by Citroenmad »

I can't remember if the exclusive has or not but most of the range don't :(

Annoying really.

CHeck to see if yours has wires going to the washers, they should work when the heated rear window is on - as will the heated mirrors which all but the LX C5s have.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

My MkIII VTR doesn't. Never quite sure about them: OK, it stops it freezing up but if it is that cold then it will freeze on the screen anyway.

Packing loads of stuff into the engine bay often ends up with the screenwash tank being excommunicated and hidden in a wheel arch where it will never get the benefit of heat from the engine. It strikes me that a far more elegant solution would be to put a tank high up un the engine bay, close to the washer pipes on the rear edge of the bonnet, then both would be warmed by the exhaust. I sometimes think that cutting a small hole in the underbonnet soundproofing felt just under the jets so engine heat got through would be cheaper and as effective as heating them.

Supermarket screenwash anti-freeze says it is OK down to -5 degrees if used undiluted. I'm sure we used to have much better stuff than that. -5 is pretty common. Wonder what they use in France/Germany?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Richard_C wrote:My MkIII VTR doesn't. Never quite sure about them: OK, it stops it freezing up but if it is that cold then it will freeze on the screen anyway.

Packing loads of stuff into the engine bay often ends up with the screenwash tank being excommunicated and hidden in a wheel arch where it will never get the benefit of heat from the engine. It strikes me that a far more elegant solution would be to put a tank high up un the engine bay, close to the washer pipes on the rear edge of the bonnet, then both would be warmed by the exhaust. I sometimes think that cutting a small hole in the underbonnet soundproofing felt just under the jets so engine heat got through would be cheaper and as effective as heating them.
But usually screenwash is needed before the engine has warmed up so that wouldn't work so well initially.

Supermarket screenwash anti-freeze says it is OK down to -5 degrees if used undiluted. I'm sure we used to have much better stuff than that. -5 is pretty common. Wonder what they use in France/Germany?
I think the term "Supermarket screen-wash" is the problem here.
For effective antifreeze properties something better is needed.
I was given a bottle of screen-wash* by a mate with an account at Maccess and gets a good deal on it by buying stacks of it.
He used it throughout last winter and never had it freeze on him one.

*had to go out to the car for it :( It is "Bluecol Sub Zero", works down to -36˚C.
Expensive (?) at £4.50L but better to have something that works that a cheap alternative that doesn't.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Periodically Lidl knock out some screenwash that is good for -60 neat, and is only about a £5 for 5l. Diluted 2:1 it will do at least -10 - I had no trouble last winter using it about this strength, and we had a few days where it was below -15. Sign up for their weekly offers sheet, and you will know when it's coming in.
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You can easily find screenwash which betters -5, thats pretty poor!

Your right though, often it will freeze on the screen and so heated washer jets would be pointless anyway. However I often find that after a bit of driving the jets soon defrost anyway, probably due to the engines warmth.

I value my heated mirrors much more than I would heated washer jets.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: I value my heated mirrors much more than I would heated washer jets.
Wonderful devices :-D I value my Eberspacher as an essential winter accessory just above them though....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...