Xantia Washer Jets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia Washer Jets

Post by ecohouse1 »

I seem to have a recurring problem with blocked jets on the Xantia.

I had a pathetic flow and of course went straight to the pump in case there was a blocked filter but turns out there isn't a filter so then discovered the plastic pipe had creased then cracked so haemoraging fluid all over the bulkhead! Put in an "inline" repair piece of a one inch brake pipe.

When I insert a pin into the jet I can feel a resistance - this morning I was barely getting a drip a the jets and this is 70% solution in 4 degrees so not iced!
When I poked the jets with a pin they did momentarily improve but still get dribbles from 2 of the 4 jets.

Is this normal and any tips on how to improve it?

Cheers

Alan
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Washer Jets

Post by Xaccers »

Over the years they get gunked up, as can the pipes.
Inserting a pin is a temporary measure (sometimes very temporary!) as it moves the gunk until they're used and the water moves it back to block them again.
Removing the pipes and blowing through the jets with an airline can help blow some of the gunk out.
Use a load of small pipe cleaners, or carefully remove them from the bonnet, although with their age and the current temperature the plastic is likely to be very brittle so it might be worth using a hair dryer on them, but still be very careful!

No idea how much replacement ones are, if they're not much it might just be worth renewing them.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

had the same problem.. to be honest I think they are about a quid each at a dealers.. a lot of the 406 owners just buy xant jets like this, as they are better and cheap..
J
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

They're a shade under a fiver each* at the dealers - not worth the hassle of trying to unblock them - it never works! Although I have had some success in washing them out - but getting them off without breaking them is tricky - the clip works in the opposite direction to what you might expect.

* unless you'ev got heated ones, in which case they come as a pair and cost £75 :twisted:
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

blimey. £10 a pair!
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I have this problem with mine but they are the heated type so I wouldn't want to even think about how much they would be !! First problem was the crappy plastic supply tube kinking, solution, replace it with rubber tube, end of kinks. Next problem, the passenegr side jet is the one that routinely blocks up and I have deduced it's rubbish in the washer bottle. I intend to put an inline filter in the supply tube as soon as I can find one but until then I just detach the supply tube from the jet and blow it out with an airline. It seems to work for about 3 months before it needs blowing out again.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

As a short term fix use a strand unwound from an old fine steel cable such as a throttle cable or guitar string (not being a musician don’t know what key) and poke it right into the jet and waggle it about. This breaks up the blockage rather than pushing it in as when a pin is used. A pin may also alter the aim of the jet in an unwanted direction.

Avoid using washing up liquid in place of screen wash and try hot water poured onto the plastic pipe to get rid of any kinks.
You can try pushing the garden hose right down into the washer bottle and flushing it out with a strong jet of water as it overflows. Then using a cloth soaked the hottest water that you can bear; place it where the plastic pipe meets the washer jet and gently pull the softened pipe off the jet. (The pipe can be replaced in a similar way.)

You can now empty the washer bottle and flush the pipe work without the constriction caused by the jet by operating the windscreen washer (mind the wipers don’t foul the bonnet or you when they operate) prior to refilling with the required strength of screen wash.

Hope that helps.
If it can happen it will.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Estately wrote:As a short term fix use a strand unwound from an old fine steel cable such as a throttle cable or guitar string (not being a musician don’t know what key)
High E (the thinnest string) or perhaps the B string. The G string will be just a little too thick for this :wink: (Malcolm, stop sniggering :) )

My cure has been to disconnect the pipe at the back of the nozzle with care as it'll be age hardened and cold-hardened at this time of the year and blast compressed air at near 100 psi up the nozzle. This will blow the accumulated muck out of the jet in the intended direction of travel and prevent it doing it's mischief again.

This works particularly well on blocked MK1 tailgate washer jets, the ones that run through the wiper mechanism.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...