C5 Diesel tuning box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

C5 Diesel tuning box

Post by SaabC5 »

I bit the bullet last week and bought a tuning box for my 2.2HDi from eBay. I was initially sceptical about it but after a week of having it fitted i'm pleasantly surprised by the result. The tuning box was set on the default tune and is adjustably both up & down for power. I find the car delivers power a lot more smoothly than previous and definately shows a power increase, uphill performance especially seems better. MPG is slightly improved as well......major bonus. If you wanted to purchase one for yourself the vendors name on eBay was djdafish and they do tuning boxes for both Siemens & Bosch engine management systems. Look on top of the injectors and if theres a pipe between them you have a Bosch system, no pipes = Siemens.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
waynedance

Re: C5 Diesel tuning box

Post by waynedance »

Do these do any damage to the engine or cause more wear?
What did you pay for it?
What do people on here think to these boxes?
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Purchased one (different box) a year or so ago for the same car, have fitted it 3 times and on each occasion after about 3 days, it put the car into 'limp home' mode. At least 14 differing settings could be had. The Manufacturer claimed it was my engine at fault and that i should check my EGR.......... as a coincidence, i'm doing that this weekend!!
Not convinced!!
Last edited by corsehf on 11 Feb 2012, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

i have one fitted to my xantia hdi.. and wouldnt be without it now.. ive done 40k in it.. no more signs of any wear besides wear is lack of maintenance not extraction of more efficient ppwer..

my xantia still doesnt use any oil or water.. however the box NEEDS to be correct for the car.. i tried my box in a c5 2.0 hdi 8v - identical engine - and the car threw its dummy out and didnt like it with an anti pollution fault.. back on my xantia its been puuuurrrrrrfect... smoother lower power delivery.. quicker much stronger in gear pull.. same economy at around 43mpg... with a boot full constantly of tools and 70 - 80 mph dual carrage driving...

GET ONE! Well worth it.. i dont look back.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yeah. I've got a cheapy one on my 2.0HDi Berlingo. It makes a decent enough difference in default tune, I haven't tried twisting the screw yet. Definitely more low-down grunt - it'll pull from 30mph in 4th easily now, where it would not before, and it is doing 48mpg at the moment.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I did, and still might, consider one as I wouldn't mind boosting my HDI 90 to about 110. From what I can see they basically adjust the info going to the computer to add more fuel, so more power. Makes sense as just altering the data passed to the computer ?

Can't see a problem with increased power as the engine can handle 110bhp power so just a case of how it obtains that. I wouldn't want to take a 110 up to 130+ for instance as it is going above production output for a model, but 90 to 110 sounds ok.

I would guess quality and track record are important so would buy a known manufacturer's box. I would also want to know exactly what it is adjusting to do this, not good enought to someone to say it works it's magic. Not a trade secret, or shouldn't be, to say what they adjust and why. This still leaves a manufacturer to add their own programming to make theirs better than others.

The ones I looked at were, for no other reason than I found them on the internet.
http://www.chipexpress.com/products/358/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (so far if I had to I think I would go for this)
http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tuningbox.com/en/home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of fitting here http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/installation_examples.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still pondering if it is worth it as HDI90 goes ok as it is, may consider it later, maybe as Xmas present ? But not unless I can find out exactly what they alter and see if it makes sense to me.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

corsehf wrote:Purchased one (different box) a year or so ago for the same car, have fitted it 3 times and on each occasion after about 3 days, it put the car into 'limp home' mode. At least 14 differing settings could be had. The Manufacturer claimed it was my engine at fault and that i should check my EGR.......... as a coincidence, i'm doing that this weekend!!
Not convinced!!
They were very specific about what sort of HDi i had, whether it was Bosch or Siemens, FAP or not, 1.6,2.0 or 2.2 and engine code with specific power output. They also had 2 people that had money returned no questions asked because they couldn't get the box working (both had left positive feedback about their customer service). Instructions provided were very concise including how to solve "limp home" mode faults (wiring issues most common cause apparently). As with all eBay major purchases i do extensive research on the vendor's feedback before making a purchase and i would advise anybody to do the same.
waynedance wrote:Do these do any damage to the engine or cause more wear?
What did you pay for it?
What do people on here think to these boxes?
All engines have an inbuilt tolerance to accomodate extra power, its just a case of knowing what extra power they can handle. I figured if the latest incarnation of the 2.2HDi can produce 170+ bhp then tuning it to approx 165 wouldn't be a problem. Link to the tuning box here... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170747047957
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

the way mine works is basically to fool the ecu into thinking the rail pressure is lower than it is, a modern take on turning the funscrew on the TD's. Mine alters it dynamically though so at tick over it leaves well alone. I'm pretty sure i bought mine from djdafish as well. 20k on mine now and i've noticed nothing bad. I do have more grunt at lower revs and it seems to have made the 3250rpm pre-injection cut off more defined.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
speederuption

Post by speederuption »

Hi
These tuning boxes only give a slight improvement and they work on altering fuel pressure which confuse the ecu.
Please be careful as i remap vehicles for a living and i have had people phone me up after fitting these devices with
catastrophic outcome.

Gary
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

speederuption wrote: These tuning boxes only give a slight improvement and they work on altering fuel pressure which confuse the ecu.
Indeed, on an HDi that's all they can do and I personally worry about them greatly. Mr. PSA spent millions in developing the ECU software to be a good compromise between power, emissions, economy and above all, reliability. In the main he did a good job and certainly PSA themselves refined the HDi software between the earliest and latest versions of the HDi quite substantially as DickieG will testify.

There is a world of difference between these tuning boxes and a proper professional remap.

I drive a late Xantia HDi and it's pretty good all-round. I feel no need of any tuning box on it.

Generally I've never been one to 'play around' with any vehicle and that included fiddling around with the 'funscrews' on Bosch pumped 1.9TDs. I value reliability and fuel economy above sheer grunt every time.

I have driven Activas with manual boost controllers and I must admit they go like scalded cats and are incredible fun. Today though I took my absolutely standard Activa for quite an spirited (by my standards) drive and wondered what all the fuss was about and if the fitting of a manual boost controller really was worth the trouble. It had plenty enough zip for me. Today I've driven all three of my cars and all of them have to my mind quite adequate power and go for the purposes they serve.

None of us know the long-term effects on reliability of putting tuning boxes on an HDi nor of putting a boost controller on an Activa. On a C5 particularly how does it affect the life of the DMF? On the Activa there's already a case I know of where the clutch has complained over much more grunt going through it following a chipped ECU and a boost hike. The clutch may have been near the end of it's life and the hike hastened it but was it on its way out or is the clutch just a bit marginal when given more power to deliver? When is an HDI or heavily boosted Activa going to pop a head gasket following a tuning box fitment. It's a seriously non-funny job in each to replace the head gaskets...

Only time will tell. For now I'm going to keep my engines tuned as intended.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well As I said above, 41k LATER, and NOTHING to worry about.. my clutch is no worse, my fuel consumption stays around the 42 average, she uses no oil or water, and there no more or less smoke behind me either..

I think manufactures UNDER power their engines on purpose, more so for emmission laws rather then engine atrain etc...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

We've one of these tuning boxes on our Xantia HDi 90 and it works well... :-D

Very easy to fit too - just a couple of plugs and that's it! :-D
Franklin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Like Jim I'm very wary of tuning boxes, firstly you must inform your insurance company as they are visible and in the event of a serious prang your car will be impounded and if a tuning box is found then you've given your insurance company the perfect get out clause for paying out.

As for remaps how do you know that the remap is a proper professional job and not just a disguised adjustment of fuel pressure?

Paul you say you are happy with 43 mpg, I'd be horrified and be getting out my Lexia if my HDi had such poor consumption figures.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Richard...

43mpg.. WITH a boot FULL of my tools ALL the time!! So thats a bit of extra weight... plus 200k on original injecotrs, Im heavy right footed, where Im often sitting at 75 - 80mph.. or stop start driving...I dont accellerate lightly either.

Considering my old SX TD Xantia struggled 40mpg, I find 43mpg good. Thats an average though, so she could be dooing 45 plus but not all the time..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Like I said I did and still would consider it but do consider that a boost would probably not benefit me much, only to say that my car is now a 110. Not much call to accelerate quickly or general power worries for me personally.

That is just my driving at the moment (not always the case in my youth though) so no rush to change unless I see a reason to. If I did more towing maybe ?
Have to admit I find the HDI90 quick and smooth enough, especially for a large car. I drove a few 110s before I bought this one and they were more powerful but this is fine at the moment, still getting used to using the revs rather than changing too soon as it seems happy to rev like a petrol engine.

Not a great problem but gearbox ratios must also play a part. My 90 seems (to me anyway) to have very close ratio 1st and 2nd, presumably to make the most of the available power, and wider other gears. I took time to adjust to changing from 3rd to 2nd and kept doing it too soon, getting better at it now.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives