Removign DPF on 2.0 C8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Removign DPF on 2.0 C8

Post by Stekelly »

The sister in laws c8 is showing antipollution fault from when it was bought. There was a quote in the service history (doesnt appear to have been signed off as paid like the other history so I'm guessing it wasnt done) for a refill of the fluid and diagnostics.
Is there much involved in deleting the DPF altogether, both physically and with Lexia does anyone know?

I'm thinking it might be the best option.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Removign DPF on 2.0 C8

Post by RichardW »

Depollution is just a generic engine management fault - not necessarily the DPF - in fact, in this case, it's unlikely to be the DPF as if it hadn't been regenning for a period, the car would have stopped by now as it would be blocked up :) Does it even have a DPF? You will need to get it on a diag computer to see what it thinks is wrong with it....
Richard W
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Did all the HDI's in these not have DPF's? I thought they did (this being my first HDI to deal with I havnt looked in to it too much) .

95% of her journeys are really short so if it is there pre-empting the inevitable issues by gettign rid would be a bonus.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It appears from service.citroen that neither the 110 or the 138 versions got a DPF on the synergie :-D

Something else is up with it.... :? Note that if she's UK based, it will be an MOT fail now :roll:
Richard W
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Were the engines not revised on the C8 from the Synergie though. Plenty of these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C8-2- ... 20c0be01b8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I never thought to check Service :-)

It's here in Ireland now but I'll have to check the NCT (our MOT) manual to see whether its a fail or not.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Synergie??? WTF did I get that from.... #-o

All variants of HDi on the synergie appear to come with DPF sometimes.....
Richard W
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

^^^^^
THIS is why when I went hunting for a C8 it was for a Non FAP version - I turned down several nice looking ones because they were FAP.
Sorry, but I feel your pain. I had a Vauxhall for a while with a DPF - never again. I'll buy a petrol before I buy a diesel with a DPF again.
CitroSwede
My Cars:

Post by CitroSwede »

Cut the DPF open and empty it, weld it together and then let a good "tuner" erase the DPF fuction from the ECU.

OR... if the "tuners" in Britain charge too much for that service, cut the DPF open and empty it, weld it together and buy a
"plug-in" emulator that tricks the ECU that the DPF is still fully functional and always free flowing. Cost around 100 GBP. :wink:
No codes at all, and passes MOT here in Sweden without any problems.
(I think it´s called MOT in Britain? Exhaust check every year..)

You will be surprised how well the car runs without DPF, and you will laugh every time you see how far you suddenly can drive on a full tank. :-D
Citroën Xantia HDI -00
Have Lexia..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of you chassis/VIN No. i will look on service citroen to check if you car has a DPF or not,

although it seems that on the pug 307 1.6 HDI's, the 110 and up have a DPF and the 90 does not,

CitroSwede
it seems to me you would not need to weld the DPF back together after removeing its inards, as the one i have just had apart it only held together by a large clamp around its middle,

regards malcolm
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

If it's the 109 HP model (2002-2007) then it's the Bosch EDC15 ECU and it should have a DPF/FAP.
I offer a postal DPF software removal service for this ECU and also on the 1.9l Vauxhalls; and it's not expensive, only £150.
PM me for details.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroSwede
My Cars:

Post by CitroSwede »

citronut wrote: CitroSwede
it seems to me you would not need to weld the DPF back together after removeing its inards, as the one i have just had apart it only held together by a large clamp around its middle,
regards malcolm
Even better!
I had the DPF removed on my BMW 530d, and the car was completely transformed...
More quick revving, more responsive, somewhat better torque and a way better mileage!
From 8.1 l/100km to 6,9l/100km agerage comsumption! :shock:
(i´m not sure how to translate that to British comsumption figures)..
Passed MOT with no problems at all.
Citroën Xantia HDI -00
Have Lexia..
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

CitroSwede wrote:
citronut wrote: CitroSwede
regards malcolm
Even better!
I had the DPF removed on my BMW 530d, and the car was completely transformed...
More quick revving, more responsive, somewhat better torque and a way better mileage!
From 8.1 l/100km to 6,9l/100km agerage comsumption! :shock:
(i´m not sure how to translate that to British comsumption figures)..
Passed MOT with no problems at all.
Interesting re the MOT, the "new" U.K requirements that have just come into force emanate from Europe,and so would apply in Sweden.
It seems to me that in order to comply with the requirements soot particulate emissions would have to be measured, if that is the case I don't see how a Euro 4 class car that should have a FAP is going to pass that check if it no longer has a FAP. But hey! maybe the words say one thing and the Test Stations are allowed to do something else, anybody got any "ins" to an MOT test station to find out exactly how they are going to check this item?

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
CitroSwede
My Cars:

Post by CitroSwede »

Since a couple of years they here only use an OBD code reader on diesel cars cars newer than model 2005, from the year from when all diesels had to have DPF, by EU law.
If there are no emission related fault codes, the car will pass.
Since the the DPF function is erased from the ECU, no fault codes can be triggered, but they will still be able to read the fault memory.. :mrgreen:

Before that, they used the old measuring method by measuring the actual exhaust by revving the car to almost redline.
The cars with DPF software done and the DPF cleaned did also pass those older tests without problems.
The engine is not under any load during that engine torture...
But those days are gone, nowadays it is just lazy code reading all the way for cars 05-.

If you would check the emissions on a dyno with the engine under full load, then.....cough...cough... [-X

It´s rather funny to watch the people outside the building, waiting for their turn for the yearly test. Many of them pressing the buttons on their small cheap OBD code readers like crazy, trying to erase ABS and other fault codes at the last second before their number turns up. :)
Citroën Xantia HDI -00
Have Lexia..
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Knew I was forgetting to get back to something. Cheers for all the input. So if I do the physical removal myself am I going to have to take it somwhere to have the ECU dickied with or can I do it myself with a Lexia?I'm thinking it's [robably best to bring it somewhere to avoide the potential of killing it :-)
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

Lexia can't do it as the Lexia is for diagnostics/BSI configuration. The DPF software is run from the ECU.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;