Removing cooling fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andycarter
My Cars:

Removing cooling fan

Post by andycarter »

Apologies if I'm ranting a bit here but I've just spent the last 4 hours turning my Xantia into what resembles an autojumble.
The problem is that one of the cooling fans has knackered bearings and makes a heck of a noise and vibration when its slowing down.
I've got a new fan, simple matter of swapping them over I thought...
To get this fan out I had to:
1) Remove Battery & Battery Tray
2) Drain coolant & remove radiator hoses
3) Remove Airbox & intercooler hoses
4) Tilt radiator back (couldn't release bottom hose)
5) Extract Intercooler from in front of the rad
6) Attempt to move aircon condenser without releasing gas (the problem...)
The problem is that the bottom screw that holds the condenser to the fan mounting frame is rusted up solid and the threaded insert that was moulded into the plastic now spins round. I've tried to get a spanner on the back of the insert but access is virtually impossible through the bumper.
I thought that as I'd stripped it so far I might as well take the bumper off to improve access. Bolts at the side, bolts underneath, and 2 bolts in an impossible to reach place behind the foglight holes - except I don't have foglights and the panels do not appear removable without wrecking the paintjob.
Aargh!! How do I get this flippin' bumper off?
I've given it up for the day as its getting dark now and will resume play in the morning.
Andy
(Now with an oily keyboard)
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Replying to my own post:
1) I decided that the bumper is not removable without damaging it.
2) Managed to get that seized bolt out with the help of a beautiful assistant this morning [:D] Thanks Jess!
3) I now know alot more about how my car fits together and what a pain in the arse it is when you have to work around an aircon system.