broken handbrake cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

broken handbrake cable

Post by froggy »

Hi, just pulled the Xantia on to the ramps, applied the handbrake, then heard a " twang ", the hand brake is now very slack and does"nt seem to hold ! Iam guessing the handbrake is broken ? If so how difficult is it to replace, cheers Terry . :oops:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: broken handbrake cable

Post by red_dwarfers »

Usually the cables snap at the calliper end. The outer casing of the cables wear for one reason or another, letting water in which rusts the inner cable itself. Have a nose under the front wheel arches to confirm. If I remember correctly, the cables between the NS and OS are of different lengths and on top of that, they vary between engine types. I know that 1.9TD ones are available at GSF for a sensible price.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Re: broken handbrake cable

Post by avamotor »

Hello froggy,

I had a very similar experience to you but to be on the safe side I changed both cables. I used a set of hydraulic ramps to do mine (but a good sturdy set of axle stand to prevant any jack failing is a good start) and from recollection carried out in the following manner:-

front end of car either jacked up and safely on axle stands/on lift and remove road wheels, slacken the handbrake cable locknut and back off the adjuster nut disengage cable end from brake caliper lever push back cable into the sleeve as far as it will go, then moving to the section beaneath the car located near to handbrake lever, you will then have to carefully prise off circlips holding the exhaust heatsheld as the cable run behind the heatshield.

Then carefully bend the heatshield so that you can get your hand the remove the cable from its retainer located under the exhaust heatshield and carefully remove either the right hand cable by pushing the cable upwards or the left hand side by pushing the cable downwards remembering to ensure the cable is is fully located beaneth the heatshield and thread through all the right "hoops" and clips as i learnt to my own disappiontment and then move the caliper bar to accept the remaining end of the cable, band back the heatshield and after "modifying the circlips using a small socket carefully tap on the clips over the pegs retaining the heatshield.

I chose not to remove the exhaust and gearchange mechanism, as i found it easier this way and far less hassle, reassmble as reverse of the above and adjust as necessary!

took me 3 hours to swap both cables.

Good luck