Radio doesn't swich off.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Radio doesn't swich off.

Post by OwenP »

Since I bought my 406 I haven't been able to switch off the radio. The button on the radio itself does not respond, either for volume or on/off commands.

Up till now this hasn't been a problem as I just turn the volume right down, however I'll shortly be starting a new job which requires me to have the radio off. I have pulled out the fuses which the handbook says are audio fuses to no effect. So which fuses do I need to pull to kill the radio? Or is there a better way to turn it off?

I know the best option is a new radio, that is on the list of things to get once I have been paid.

This is on a 51 plate 406 (estate if it makes a difference.)

Cheers in advance.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Re: Radio doesn't swich off.

Post by Gingerposer »

I've had this happen in a renault van - mechanic just took it out of the slot and disconnected the power for a few seconds, reinstalled and it was fine. He said they sometimes need a reset.
Regarding the pulling of the fuse not working - it could be that the radio has power connections which have two options - one for a permanent live feed and one for an ignition switched feed. To check this you'd need to take the radio out anyway so i guess you're not left with much option :)
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

I was hoping to avoid taking the radio out, but if needed.... Do I just need to prize it out, or is there a bit more to it than that?

I'd be surprised if it just needs a reset as most of the rest of the buttons are non-functional. The volume control used to work but intermittently. The only working controls now are the steering column stalk and the memory buttons.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They come out quite easily, I think you need to insert a couple of 'U' shaped lengths of wire coat hanger into the holes and then pull.

Peter
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Peter.N. wrote:They come out quite easily, I think you need to insert a couple of 'U' shaped lengths of wire coat hanger into the holes and then pull.

Peter
I tried that and couldn't get it to budge. However I have managed to switch it off. I pulled the fuse for the ciggy lighter, which turned off pretty much all the instrumentation, but did also kill the radio. Thankfully the radio stayed off when I put the fuse back in.

Now all I've got to do is get the front pads changed (great warning light to have come on a 6.45am on the way to the first day of a new job!) and then I can look into a new radio.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I got mine out OK but as it was several months ago and that's about the extent of my memory, I have forgotton how. Please you fixed it anyway. The CD player doesn't work on mine.

Peter
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Nor does mine. I think your memory is correct, I just couldn't budge it, probably been hammered in so much over the years it'll take a lot of effort to remove, oh well I'll let halfrauds deal with that when I get a new one.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello OwenP,

I had a similar problem (although I dont know if your has suffered the same as mine!) last year with my 1999 T reg (facelift) 406 hdi with the clarion radio cassette player, I removed the radio using 2 drill bits to force back the springs and then by putting my hand in the pen tray beneath the radio pushed the radio out!

on removal of the front fasia from the main stereo unit, I was able to identify that whoever had the vehicle before my had pushed the button with such force, that the board ended up cracked across 4 circuit tracks.

All i did was to use a fibreglass pen cleaner (care of Maplin electronics) to clean the circuit board and then resoldered across the cracked joint and around the rear contacts of the switch/volume control.

Plumbed it back in and job sorted, never failed since! :-D

Garry