gunk

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

gunk

Post by dowen »

I bought a tin of gunk recently, last time I used Gunk it was a fairly thick brownish colour, smelt(to my nose nice) sort of earthy. It was good stuff! when you washed it off it left a milky residue.
The stuff I bought the other day was nothing like it! It was exactly like red diesel! smelt, felt and tasted.
Has anyone bought Gunk latley or have I been done! Or is it jus a question of changing times where everyone is out to make stuff as cheaply as possible to make as much money as they can!
Regards, Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: gunk

Post by CitroJim »

I never use Gunk, never have. Go to B and Q :twisted: and get a bottle of white spirit. Brush that on and blow dry off with an airline. It does a fine job but do it out of doors. Some, like me, are allergic to the stuff and it brings on a sort of asthma so be careful.

For indoor work I buy five litre cans of brake cleaner from my local factor and it both works out a lot cheaper than aerosol cans of the stuff and I'm not allergic to it. Use as you would white spirit..

Due to my allergy I can't go near oil-based house paints. It was the perfect excuse for not being able to decorate until some unkind soul pointed out that water based paints are now available. Sadly I'm not allergic to them :( :lol:

EDIT. Thinking on, I tried Gunk a couple of years ago when he white spirit allergy hit and it was pure, unadulterated rubbish. I still have a nearly full can of the evil stuff. Free to anyone who wants it :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I use Gunk but haven't come across this new version, I've also treid the spray can version and that appeared to be just a foam version of the original formula.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've got several cans of the spray version, but after a proper power wash at 120C was barely able to remove a corner of the protective shell (dried veg) on the sump, I haven't bothered to use them.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think the original Gunk broke a few of the new environmental laws and had to be done away with, a bit like Jay's Fluid which had the same base.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:a bit like Jay's Fluid which had the same base.
Yes, now you come to say, Gunk and Jayes were similar. Jayes was great if you had a cold. One sniff and bye bye blocked nose and sinuses :lol:

I believe they were based on phenols and they're now hated by the environmentalists.

Sadly, they've seen off a lot of good cleaning potions :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:I've got several cans of the spray version, but after a proper power wash at 120C was barely able to remove a corner of the protective shell (dried veg) on the sump, I haven't bothered to use them.
Will anything other than a blowlamp or manual scraping remove that?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:I've got several cans of the spray version, but after a proper power wash at 120C was barely able to remove a corner of the protective shell (dried veg) on the sump, I haven't bothered to use them.
I can answer that with complete authority. No.
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Bloody perverts, cleaning engines. Weird. The mind boggles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Activa_Mike wrote:Bloody perverts, cleaning engines. Weird. The mind boggles.
You should see what I've done to Rattiva's Mike...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Activa_Mike wrote:Bloody perverts, cleaning engines. Weird. The mind boggles.
You should see what I've done to Rattiva's Mike...
<shudder>

I once had an Astra GTE "professionally" steam cleaned, it did some odd things to the electronics, and I needed to replace parts. Ever since then, oil/filters/internals are all I do.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steam cleaning any engine is not to be recommended Mike. I'd never do that. Not only that it makes the alloy corrode like heck. At least using white spirit leaves a slightly oily protective film behind...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:

It's rust and bullet protection ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:It's rust and bullet protection ;)
:lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:
Caustic Soda but you wouldn't like the side effects.