Berlingo 1.9 starting issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

Berlingo 1.9 starting issues

Post by johntom »

Hi
My newly acquired 2004 berlingo 1.9 starts first time however the engine is rough when started first thing in a morning. I started it today and immediately revved it to 1000 rpm however after a few seconds the revs dropped (foot still on throttle) and the engine was rough, as though it had lost a cylinder. I revved it again and it was smooth, after 20-30 seconds the engine ticksover smoothly on its own and it will start perfectly all the time afterwards unless left for a long period say 6-7 hours or overnight.
Does this sound like a bad glow plug and do I have to remove the plastic inlet manifold to change them ?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo 1.9 starting issues

Post by citronut »

if its the DW8 lump then yes on both counts

regardas malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd go with heater plugs too, that plastic top half of the manifold (technically not the manifold I guess, more the upper plenum chamber / air intake) comes off easily anyway.

It *could* be air ingress, I don't think its leakoff pipes as you probably have Lucas pump on a DW8, most seem to have a Lucas unit from what I've seen.

Its worth checking the feed pipe to the pump to see if there's any air bubbles in it, as this is a free no cost option to start with but assuming that's OK I'd replace the plugs, you cannot really reliably test them in situ even current draw etc as its possible to get odd faults like glowing in the middle not the tip etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

Could also be that the thermostat that operates the fast idle when cold has stopped working.It's screwed into the thermostat housing and operates a lever on the pump via a cable.