xantia radiator leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

xantia radiator leak

Post by froggy »

Hi, just noticed a leak of coolant from underneath the radiator,yu uk ! it"s not coming from any hoses . will this mean a new rad ? if so, how difficult is it to replace cheers Terry .
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia radiator leak

Post by CitroJim »

Terry, if you have the earlier rad with the spring hose clips then it's a reasonably straightforward job. The aircon pump gets in the way of the bottom hose a tad but that's the sum total of difficultness...

However, if yours is late enough to have bayonet connectors then prepare for fun with a capital F. They corrode in place and can be the very devil to sort out. You're best breaking the pipe sockets off the rad with a big cold chisel and slowly chipping away whats left of the socket to save the hoses. The metal part of the bayonet must be spotlessly clean and the O ring in perfect nick to reassemble.

Otherwise Budget for new hoses as well. The bottom hose is a devil to replace as it's necessary to remove the front bumper and the windscreen washer tank to get to the uderside of the coolant header tank where a tee from the bottom hose connects...

If you do have bayonets, I'll post up some hard-won advice. I hope you haven't!

Now, the rad MUST be replaced if the leak is fairly severe and replaced it must be for two reasons: First, the TD does not take kindly to overheating and second leaking coolant will leak into the wiring loom under it and potentially rot the wiring...

If the leak is not bad, throw in a can of Forte Stop Leak (not K-Seal or Radweld or any other rad sealing snake oil, only Forte) and hopefully that'll stave off the time when it must be replaced until the milder weather.

Also, if you're having to top up because of the leak, please do use 50:50 antifreeze and not plain water.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Purchased a new bottom hose a few months ago, think it was about £40, as Jim says a total mare to fit
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Thanks for the help Jim, I"m pretty sure it"s got spring clps . The leak at the moment , is a small one , but I think I will change it next week end , cheers again Terry . 8-[
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

The old radiator : is it worth having it repaired, or scrap it ? Cheers Terry
Terry