Reverse switch location?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Reverse switch location?

Post by Stekelly »

Anyone know offhand where exactly the reverse switch is located on an 04 2l HDI auto C8? There's no reverse lights when its put in reverse. Stuck the multimetre on the bulb holder and its not getting power when reverse is engaged so I'm guessing the switch. Can get on for €25 delivered so not exactly the biggest gable in the world :-D HAvnt gone lookign yet but it would be good to be at least looking at the right general area. Cheers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Reverse switch location?

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ste,

The contacts for the reversing lights is contained in the multi-function switch on top of the gearbox and operated by the selector lever. Apart from the reverse lights the switch tells the ECU what gear is selected on the selector lever and prevents starting in any position except P or N.

The switch I believe is a sealed unit and not too amenable to being stripped and cleaned although someone more familiar with the AL4 may give more detailed advice.

This a typical circuit of the AL4 electronics and you can see the the switch in item 1635 in the bottom right of the diagram.

Hope that helps a bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Cant remember off hand but does the C8 have a display on the dash that shows what gear it's in ? Does it come up R when you are in reverse ? If so then that would likely rule out a switch fault. Have you checked all the fuses ?
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Cheers Jim, having a look at that now.

Wheeler, never thought of that actually. Display shows R alright when you put it in reverse. I'll have a look at the fuses today.Thanks.