ZXdrums)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DannyB

ZXdrums)

Post by DannyB »

Hi,

New to the forum decided i better sign up as every time i searched on Info for the Zx i endud up here :-D

Just put new Shoes, Cylinders and pipes on the rear of my 1.9td but noticed that the self adjusters are incomplete on both sides, The rear brakes seem o.k as far as i can tell but the handbrake is very poor (better than it was though can now use it on slight inclines). I have yet to try and adjust them up better but as the ratchet on the adjusters is missing i can adjust them through the wheel hole bolt by spinning the little metal cog with a small flat bladed screw driver.

Do you think it will be o.k manually adjusting them up? I know its not ideal but it needs a MOT next month, I'm assuming the brakes are Bendix as it has round slave cylinder plates and the adjuster sits between the top of the shoes and has a threaded bar which slides into a slightly bigger body the bar also has the adjuster which is a small cog wheel.

Found some adjusters on ebay (dealers quoted between £60 - £80) i think the first would be better,

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/search.ph ... tem=705218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/search.ph ... tem=705219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Re: ZXdrums)

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

and the parts that usualy go awall are two tinny stailes steel blades/pawl's, they actualy lock the adjuster/toothed wheel from unwimnding,

and the only place i have found to buy them is the dealer, and they come with the axle set of adjuster mechanisum,

and yes they are Bendix

9 times out of ten they go missing,

it might be the last person in there fitted them at the wrong sides as they are handed,
one is left hand thread the other is right hand thread,

if they are the wrong side the toothed wheel rips the tinny blade out of its seat, then it disapears,

it seems ridiculous you have to buy the hole lot just for th little blade

were are you located

regards malcolm
DannyB

Re: ZXdrums)

Post by DannyB »

Hi Malcolm,

I'm in Leeds, Car is due it's MOT soon so i think the only way to avoid the dealer prices (which i can't afford at the moment) will be to manually adjust them and modify them so they can't unwind then i can get it through the MOT. Not sure if they were fitted incorrectly i think the N/S might be working although unsure if i put it back together correctly :oops: The Offside dropped to bits when i took the hub of and i never thought to look for the bits that came off :cry:

One thing i noticed when looking is the adjuster are fitted different ways around in each hub :?

After a 25 mile journey the N/S hub nut cover was warm the offside cold, The N/S did seem to adjust so maybe a bodge job on the O/S sorting of hoping the handbrake is poor because O/S needs more adjustment 8-[

Hope that makes sense sorry for the essay :oops: