ZX Dead Temperature Gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

ZX Dead Temperature Gauge

Post by oscarloco »

Hi guys

I am restoring the ZX to prime shape. Fixed the gearshift linkage, a few leaks thru the aerial and near the ventilation grille (dumb Ex ran a red light and got hit on the side, too bad the ZX is such a good car and she was unharmed, it could have spared me from the divorce cost :mrgreen: ) so after the shop work, there were some screws left out and I had to replace them. Plus the interior was very, very damp due to the leaks and a terrible winter last year to the point that the upholstry (leather) got covered in moss!

After a couple of sunny months and some intensive cleaning, interior is back to good shape. New problems have surfaced, right now the temperature gauge is not working.

Fans cut in and out, so I assume it is either the gauge or the cable. Am I right? How can I check if this is true?

Thanks in advance!
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ZX Dead Temperature Gauge

Post by spider »

Some are just single wire to gauge, some use Bitron / ECU.

What engine / year is it ?

The sensor itself will be on the thermostat housing but without knowing which colour sensors you have difficult to say. :) I don't want to tell you to short the wire out (which will make the gauge read full) as that can damage it if its the wrong wire you use.

It might be the gauge, its not unknown for the nuts on the back to come loose. Gently tap the instrument panel (gently!) with a knuckle as sometimes this can spur it into life (works on 306's)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: ZX Dead Temperature Gauge

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Temp gauge faults are almost always the sensor , very rarely the gauge itself.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.