Replacing Xantia S2 p/steering pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masoon

Replacing Xantia S2 p/steering pipe

Post by masoon »

Hello,

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding changing the power steering pipe on a S2 xantia with a/c. Any hint's or tips from anyone who has changed one before?

Regards, Rob
Rob

Citroen Xantia S2 1998 1.9TD
Citroen C15 2003 1.9D
Mazda MX5 2003 1.8
BMW K1100LT 1993
BMW R65 1979
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Replacing Xantia S2 p/steering pipe

Post by Peter.N. »

If this is one that goes from the pinion valve the the ram - if its anything like the XM its an absolute pig.

Peter
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Did this on a 2.1TD Xantia a while back. Its not as bad as it appears, don't remember much about the job (which means it wasn't too much of a pain). I fed the pipe through and did the steering rack end first and then the pump end. Best of luck.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's about the size of it Rory...

It's fiddly, especially at the rack end although you can get at it quite well (in Xnatia terms) by working through the wheel arch and moving the rack heatshield out of the way a little.

The biggest job I had when I did it on an Activa was getting the 10mm nuts free that hold the P bushes on the pipe near the front of the car. Plus Gas, a wire brush and patience sees them OK in the end...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
masoon

Post by masoon »

Thanks guys for your quick replies. I removed the front section with relative ease, the pipe had corroded on the rear section as I suspect most do. Only the P-clip under the wheel arch has caused me problems so far. I hadn't attempted to get the rear section free as of yet, leaving that job until I'd got the new part and enough time to fit it, inbetween working etc etc.

I'm a relative newcomer to the hydraulic Citroens, once I've fitted it do I have to bleed the pipe or just do the Citroenaerobics to rid the system of air?

Rob
Rob

Citroen C15 2003 1.9D
Mazda MX5 2003 1.8
BMW K1100LT 1993
BMW R65 1979
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

masoon wrote: I'm a relative newcomer to the hydraulic Citroëns, once I've fitted it do I have to bleed the pipe or just do the Citroenaerobics to rid the system of air?

Rob
No, just turn the steering lock-to-lock with the front wheels off the ground a few times and all air will purge. The PAS and suspension sides are totally independent even though they use the same LHM.

Not a bad idea to do a couple of rounds of Citarobics though.. I do them weekly on mine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
masoon

Post by masoon »

Everything went like clockwork, had no need to remove heat shield. I did rear section first, sliding it in front n/s wheel arch. Fiddly bit was starting the union at the steering pump end but that was quickly sorted after 10 mins.

Thanks for your advice

Rob
Rob

Citroen C15 2003 1.9D
Mazda MX5 2003 1.8
BMW K1100LT 1993
BMW R65 1979