Xantia Noisy Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Xantia Noisy Steering

Post by philhoward »

Hi All,
Just bought a 95 1.9TDLX with 158k on the clock, and the only thing i can find wrong with it is a strange noise from the steering when applying more than half a turn of lock either way; like a squelching noise. There doesn't appear to be any notchiness i might expect with a duff rack, but the car hasn't been moved for a couple of months. Is it just air in the system (I intend to do a full LHM flush soon, anyway), or something a little more sinister?
Phil
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Its sounds to me like its just the HP pump operating to pump oil to the rack to provide the power assistance. Could possibly be symptomatic of a flat accumilator sphere - listen for regualar ticking at idle on the flat with no weight in the car.
On the 95's they don't have the flow divider found on earlier models; the rack has its own feed direct from the pump so theres not a lot to go wrong.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think what you are hearing is just a trait of the xantia, mine also does it.
Its a feint hissing sound that gets transmitted up the steering column and then appears to come from the wheel its self.
This hissing sound is caused by the high pressure oil being forced through the ports in the pinion valve, from the straight ahead position relatively little pressure is required to move the wheels and the ports in the valve remain quite wide allowing oil to escape easily.
As the angle of the wheels increase the mechanics of levers and fulcrums becomes less efficient, more hydraulic pressure is then required at the piston, to increase this pressure the relationship between the inner and outer rotors of the valve change, reducing the size of the ports that the oil has to go through to escape the valve, the smaller the port becomes the louder the hiss.
Ever put you thumb over the end of a hose pipe, as the water is forced out faster it creates noisey jet, same thing here just more intense.
Dave
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The steering on my Xantia makes this sound and so did the two my dad owned from new, so I've always assumed its totally normal.
Nick
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

It's normal, although on some Xantias this sound is quite loud. I tested 7-8 Xantias so far. On one this hissing was noticable, other were almost silent (like my BX).
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Fair enough then...nothing to worry about!! What a relief.
Cheers All