C5 Servicing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bbrucez
My Cars:

C5 Servicing

Post by bbrucez »

With my inherent mistrust of garages, I’ve always done my own servicing right from when I was a poor student. On indirect injection diesels it has been relatively straightforward.
So far, I have changed the engine oil & filter on my C5 which was only marginally more tricky. I’m expecting brakes to be similar.
However, the Haynes Manual is not out yet so other tasks are more daunting. What about glowplugs? Where are the anti-pollution reservoir, fuel filter and pump? Have you tried to change the headlight bulbs? It appears the offside you have to do by feel and the nearside needs the battery moved.
Any hints or tips would be welcome.
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Any hints or tips would be welcome (even insults!).
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Not sure where the particulate burner fluid stuff gets 'injected', but since there is a post-burn injection to raise the exhaust temperatures, I'd be looking for something on the exhaust manifold ( some sort of injector ), and follow any piping to a reservoir !
Just my thoughts, and I may be completely wrong !
Mat.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

The Eolys (sic?) fluid is mixed with the fuel prior to injection. On my car I can see a plastic tank on the nearside about halfway along - I have always presumed this was it, although I've never had any more than a quick glance.
Not a clue about the rest, haven't even removed the plastic engine cover yet!
I had the 12k service done on mine last week - £127 inc VAT. Not too bad compared to other manufacturers - a friend of mine pays £255 for a minor and £410 for a major service on his BMW 320d.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

post burn injection is just when the normal injectors fire again after the main injection,(only a little though) this is whats used to increase the burn temperature.the Eolys fluid is in a seperate plastic tank under the car,this tank has a small electric pump which squirts the additive directly into the fuel tank.the glow plugs are at the rear of the engine,doubt you will have much problems with them though because they only ever get used if its realy realy cold (at 0 degrees celcius they only come on for half a second)
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Thanks chaps. Looks like I'll need ramps to top up the Eolys fluid.
Good to learn about the glow plugs - on previous cars they usually went in pairs in the Winter for maximum inconvenience.
Any suggestions re light bulbs? Mine aren't as good as other cars but I'm told they are adjusted properly. They're not Xenon but I hear they give problems and some people have converted back. They really are hard to get at just like old Citroens used to be for everything. I'll put some upgraded bulbs in when I've got a spare half-day!
Stuart Blint
My Cars:

Post by Stuart Blint »

Help required!!!!!
I'm in Spain and as I now need to refill the Diesel additive in my Citroen C5 2.2 HDI I went to 2 local Citroen garages who both tell me I need to replace the partical filter (FAP) as well as fill up the Eolys FLUID. (now there's a money maker!)
The cost to replace the filter is 600 Euros (c. £400) and a tad more than I want to spend right now. So here's the question, if I get hold of a couple of litres of Eolys FLUID can anyone tell me where the reservoir is.....
I might enlist the help of a (not citroen official) local mechanic, but he speaks only Spanish (understandably) and doesn't know where the reservoir is either?
Many thanks if someone can help.. idealy a diagram?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

The particle filter and oils get changed with mileage. The early particle filters get changed at 50'000 miles the later ones at 75,000 miles. The very latest get done at 100,000. The oil type changed (Eoilys) got changed early on so the particle filter would last to 75,000 miles.(Not interchangable). Hope that bit makes sense! If the particle filter is not changed a message will appear to say there is a fault with the anti-pollution system. There is an ECU for the particle filter which needs to be reset when either the oils or particle filter or both are replaced.
Hope that helps a bit.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

How many miles has the vehicle done? Its about £250.00 to change oils and Particle filter and reset ecu in England.
Stuart Blint
My Cars:

Post by Stuart Blint »

The cars done 72,000 miles so probably due to have the work done, I've now accuired a 2nd quote from another Citroen Agent @ 370 Euros for the work (that's around £240) but I think from the little Spanish I understand that's a refurbished / cleaned FAP.
So from your comments supporting the garages comments, that's not a bad price? and probably worth going ahead and doing, rather than just toping up the Eoilys and having another problem around the corner?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I would go ahead with that price. I hope its a main dealer, i get the feeling independent garages are not clued up enough yet to deal with a FAP and oil and reset ECU .
cassop
My Cars:

Post by cassop »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bbrucez</i>

With my inherent mistrust of garages, I’ve always done my own servicing right from when I was a poor student. On indirect injection diesels it has been relatively straightforward.
So far, I have changed the engine oil & filter on my C5 which was only marginally more tricky. I’m expecting brakes to be similar.
However, the Haynes Manual is not out yet so other tasks are more daunting. What about glowplugs? Where are the anti-pollution reservoir, fuel filter and pump? Have you tried to change the headlight bulbs? It appears the offside you have to do by feel and the nearside needs the battery moved.
Any hints or tips would be welcome.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[8D]
Sorry i cant help you with the above, but i am writing to you if you maybe able to help concerning a problem with my C5.
I was driving up the M1 Durham when my Engine auto diagnosis (engine block light) come on, i was then restricted to 30,000 RPM (revse).
One thing i should mention is 2days before this happening i just had it put though its first MOT, but before i took it on that day i went to check the air filter, and on doing that i broke a sensor next to the air filter box which connected to a large diameter pipe going to the air con condensor (radiator), but this did not have any effect on it passing the MOT and making the light come on in the first place.

I would be very greatfull if you could come-up with any clues to what it maybe.
If i find any useful information on the Citroen C5 I will pass it on to you.
Yours malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

cassop- it sounds like you have broken the turbo pressure sensor pipe on the intercooler (not the condensor) thats why its went into back up mode.it will need repaired so that there is no extra air being drawn in
if the particle filter is not replaced it will eventually block up completely.
monkeyman - what vehicles/engines have a 100,000 interval for FAP replacement ?
GrahamD
My Cars:

Post by GrahamD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

The Eolys (sic?) fluid is mixed with the fuel prior to injection. On my car I can see a plastic tank on the nearside about halfway along - I have always presumed this was it, although I've never had any more than a quick glance.
I had the 12k service done on mine last week - £127 inc VAT. Not too bad compared to other manufacturers - a friend of mine pays £255 for a minor and £410 for a major service on his BMW 320d.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
GrahamD
My Cars:

Post by GrahamD »

I wish I could get my servicing for £127.
My 12500 service was £199.
My 25000 service was £199.
My 37500 service was £299.
Even when supplying my own GTX magnatec oil at about £15 cost to me, which saves a £35 charge by the garage.
My proposed 50000 service in two weeks time is forecast at £495. I believe this is because of the particle filter change that has been mentioned ?
But these costs make me think seriously about alterntive garages and DIY servicing
C5 2.2 HDI estate. March 2002.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by blueboy2001</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">