My boot won"t open!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

My boot won"t open!

Post by froggy »

Hi, Iam unable to open the boot on my series 1 Xantia ! It appears to have locked itself ! the other four doors are ok, but the boot apears to be locked . anyone got any ideas how to open it? cheera Terry . :?
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: My boot won"t open!

Post by KennyW »

Terry,

Occasionally my boot did the same,I opened it with a screwdriver by moving the lever mechanism.

I don't know if there are any differences between saloon/hatchs and estates MK 1 or 2 but I'm sure
Jim etal will come back to you.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Mine on the estate was like that when i bought it, climbed in through the back wityh a 13mm spanner and undid the catch fromt he boot floor to be able to get the inner boot cover off, was a case that the connecting rod from the catch to the handle had undone and pinged off,
mine does also play up sometimes when you unlock the car, takes a few lock and unlocks to get it to unlock! pita when the remote stops working!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Mine (Estate) also had this problem caused by tailgate solenoid. I learned from one of the answers how to open.
Without removing the catch (13mm) you can release the locking mechanism. From inside by moving a small piece
of metal through a tiny hole. Only tool used is a small screw driver.

Search forum with words: "tailgate AND Solenoid".
(Solution was solenoid replacement.)

EDIT: I found the thread with "tailgate AND lock" search words.
The thread is here ---> Tailgate lock problem

If I remember correct, I read an answer by a C5 owner and learned how to open the tailgate lock from inside.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

As your car is a S1 it should come with a key barrel in the push button, does it not open using the key?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AussieAl

Post by AussieAl »

If you go into the boot via the rear seat , take off the trim along the boot lid . The mechanism is exposed . Just pull the release arm to pop up the boot . The plastic parts in these locks can break . Replace with a later push button mechanism without the key barrel . A straight swap and the central locking will activate if it is still working . If the central locking isn`t working then you will be lumbered with a key operated unit or mending the central locking .
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The boot lock on my estate got very intermittent, the solenoid simply wasn't man enough to overcome the stiction (and the external barrel was seized). The problem in both cases was a simple lack of lubricatiojn. I then discovered that some bodger had slashed through the water seal but that's another story.....
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

easy to open the boot if the catch gets stuck just open your drivers door leave it open and reach across and press down the lock on the passenger front side the locks will lock/ unlock themselves because they sense a door open do repeat this action until you hear the boot unlock, it still happens to me occasionally but not if I keep the battery well charged up in the winter.
regards Nigel.

As for the leaky boot seal (if you have one) run a very thin bead of Tiger body panel glue under the rear bottom window seal outside and you wont even need a plastic membrane to stop water coming in because the water wont come in at all I sealed mine like this over five years ago and you can hardly see the bead of black panel glue.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.