1

An area for all matters concerning the Citroen CX.
preferstotal
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 09:57

1

Unread post by preferstotal »

My Athena went to it's new home recently after a long time in my care. After meeting up with Fil who bought a panel from me today and recieving a phone call from FPD's new owner I realise I'm missing the old thing! So in the absence of going to the garage for a tinker or popping out to "get a pint of milk" I thought I would share some very happy memories.

My childhood was always full of Citroens, particularly of the late 70's/early 80's variety. My parents had a blue GS Pallas C-matic, quickly followed by a blue GSA Pallas C-matic when it was launched the following year. An Uncle was the dealer principle of a Citroen dealer in Porchester and I used to love to hang out there as a child with all the weird french cars. I remember he always had CX's as his company cars, the ones I remember most were a Prestige, a red Reflex and a white Familialle which would transport me, my cousins and I to holidays in Dorset. Happy memories.

In January 2001 I had been considering getting a car to tinker about with after being fortunate enough to have a company car for the everyday stuff. I was at home one saturday afternoon and with nothing else to do and nothing much on TV I ended up watching a film called "Tim". Made in 1979 starring Mel Gibson, and a gold CX. I was inspired, got straight down to the newsagents to buy an Autotrader (remember those days?) and strike me down there was an advert for a series one 1979 CX. Advertised with no MOT and stood in a lock up in Leicester for 6 years. After a visit, parting with some cash and arranging a transporter to collect, it was mine. Then followed an 11 year affair!

Funny thing, I don't remember the front mudflaps...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Rollng road day...up on torque from factory figures but what REALLY brought a smile to my face was being only about 5bhp down on this lovely modified SRi Cavalier.

Image

The CX caused quite a stir when it appeared on the rollers and would have probably been the highlight of the day...until someone showed up with a 300bhp V8!...

Image

By far my proudest moment with FPD 866V was when I was invited by Classic and Sportscar Magazine to take the CX along for them to use as part of a group roadtest feature.

Image

Image

Whilst I miss the old thing after chatting with it's new keeper today it's obviously found a very good new home where it is being very well looked after and most importantly...being used and enjoyed. I will have another CX one day for sure and I am fortunate enough to still be driving a Citroen every day in the from of...erm.....

a C1.....ssshhhhh.
User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4878
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 09:15
x 38

Re: 1

Unread post by DickieG »

Interesting couple of BMW's lurking in the garage.
25 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
23 BMW iX3 M Sport Pro
23 Jeep Avenger
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
preferstotal
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 09:57

Re: 1

Unread post by preferstotal »

Thats a CSL and one of about 60 RHD E30 M3s built by BMW. Neither are mine :(
User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4878
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 09:15
x 38

Re: 1

Unread post by DickieG »

preferstotal wrote:Thats a CSL and one of about 60 RHD E30 M3s built by BMW.
I didn't think BMW made any RHD E30 M3's, AFAIK all RHD's were converted post production by aftermarket companies :?
25 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
23 BMW iX3 M Sport Pro
23 Jeep Avenger
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
preferstotal
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 09:57

Re: 1

Unread post by preferstotal »

DickieG wrote:
preferstotal wrote:Thats a CSL and one of about 60 RHD E30 M3s built by BMW.
I didn't think BMW made any RHD E30 M3's, AFAIK all RHD's were converted post production by aftermarket companies :?
From what I remember they were built as LHD, then converted in this country by a dealer using 325 parts, approved by BMW and sold new with BMW warranties.
User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2511
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 20:19
x 19

Re: 1

Unread post by Citroening »

Nice write-up and pictures Sean - funnily enough the new owner of your Athena called around today and bought some parts! :)
Franklin
Citroenmad
Posts: 8125
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 22:08
x 110

Re: 1

Unread post by Citroenmad »

What an excellent looking CX you had there 8-) A good blog too :)

There is nothing wrong with having a C1, they are cracking little cars, I love ours, its brilliant.
Chris
15 Citroen C4 Cactus HDi Feel - Red
14 Citroen C3 Picasso HDi Selection - Grey
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango
.
24 Toyota Yaris Hybrid
12 Ford Mondeo TDCi Business Edition
03 Seat Arosa 1.0S