accumulater sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

les
Locked user account

accumulater sphere

Post by les »

hi all i have just changed the accumulater sphere on a 1993 xantia not anti sink the item is from gsf part no n45304 upon completion of the job the accumulater dtarted to leak from a small black dome at the bottom[please excuse descriptio]i removed the new sphere and replaced the old one no leaks i assume i have the wrong sphere dose anyone know of the part no of the sphere i need xantia ia november 1993 1.9 td regards les
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: accumulater sphere

Post by DickieG »

Whether you have the correct sphere shouldn't make any difference leak wise as the shape of all of them around the seal area is the same, what's more than likely happened is that the seal has been displaced when you fitted the sphere. Remove the sphere and seal then carefully locate the new seal into the recess on the regulator then refit the new sphere making sure that the seal stays in place as it's very easy to dislodge it when fitting an accumulator sphere. Also take a look at the sphere mounting surface, ensure there is no paint on the surface where the rubber seal sits.

The part number you quote is an accumulator sphere.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

the leak seemed to be coming from a part of the accumulater itself it had a rubber hose connected as opposed to the sealing area of the sphere
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Could be the return hose has gone hard so the clip is loose.
Use a jubilee clip.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

leaking only seems to occur when new sphere is fitted have swopped old for new twice and no leaks with old sphere on could it be that the new sphere is the wrong one
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the old sphere is more or less flat Les and the new sphere is good this'll put more LHM flow into the return line and uncover a latent leak.

Xac is on to the right lines and also the O ring under the black plastic housing could be hard or the two screws securing it could be a little loose.

There's no way a sphere could create a leak like that unless it genuinely is not sealing and LHM is running along the regulator and appearing to come from the black cover.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

thanks jim leak dose appear to come from the circular dome at the bottom of the accumulater
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

les wrote:leak dose appear to come from the circular dome at the bottom of the accumulater
Les, I believe yours is a sinker. If so, here's an explanation of why the return dome might leak with anew accumulator. The way the pressure regulator and FDV operate there will be little or no return flow from the dome if the accumulator is weak as there is absolutely no flow to spare so to speak. Put a new accumulator on and then there is spare flow and so the dome leaks.

This would only be the case on a sinker and not on a later anti-sink Xantia.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

many thanks jim