smokey Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

smokey Xantia

Post by froggy »

Hi, my series 1 Xantia passed its m.o.t. but the mechanic said, he could fail its mot on emissions ! its very smokey! you need to buy some cata clean . Do you think my 1.9 td needs a diagnostic check or would the "cata clean work, as the mechanic suggests ? any advice gratefully received, cheers Terry . :?
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Re: smokey Xantia

Post by Dommo »

Genuine question coming up, do you ever thrash it? The 'Italian tune up' really does work wonders sometimes.

Take it up an empty motorway slowing down then flooring it up to 80 ish, then slow down and do it a few times. Make sure you keep the revs up though as doing it at low RPM will just fill it up with more smoke :P
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

froggy, further tom Dommo's post...

has it got an EGR valve? they can cause some smokage.. I dont know when they started getting fitted..

John
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

froggy wrote:Hi, my series 1 Xantia passed its m.o.t. but the mechanic said, he could fail its mot on emissions ! its very smokey! you need to buy some cata clean . Do you think my 1.9 td needs a diagnostic check or would the "cata clean work, as the mechanic suggests ? any advice gratefully received, cheers Terry . :?
Just cane it down the motorway , it'll be fine. Rev it hard though, right up to 3800-4000rpm and keep it there for a while (maybe in 3rd, unless you like doing 90+ for miles on end). 2 of my TDs were smoky and slow when I got them. Treating them with disdain for a few miles blew out a load of crud and they ran far better afterwards
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if your nervous of acting all Italian, try removing the fuel filter and mopping out the remainder of the diesel in the fuel filter housing put in a new filter and fill the housing up with Diesel Magic then put the lid back on and run the engine this will clean out the engine with a reassuring puff of black smoke from the exhaust. I sometimes run Diesel Magic through twice before an MOT to get the emissions down a bit another thing you could do before the MOT is adjust the throttle cable by taking it back a couple of notches, it also stops the tester screaming the guts out of your engine.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.