c5 ride

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jolittle
My Cars:

c5 ride

Post by jolittle »

I have just bought a demonstator C5 with 4,ooo km - traded for Xantia VSX, and still with a CX2500 - and find the ride somewhat bouncy by comparison with the Xantia. It feels like the suspension is too high. Is this a common experience with the C5 - and is there anything one can do to soften it?
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I went to a test drive with C5 2.0 HDi SX, non-hydractive model (HA3) last week. The ride was very good, similar to that in non-hydractive Xantia MkII. Only - rear end is harder on bigger dips and bumps, because of different bump-stops, that are almost in contact with rear arms in normal position (see my question 'Is C5 riding on bump - stops', about 2 weeks ago'). I also measured heights in different positions (lowest, normal, raised, high), but can't find my notes right now. I'll post it in the evening or tomorrow, so you can check.
skypilot

Post by skypilot »

Go into a newsagents and find the lastest copy of "Car Mechanics". There is an item about the C5's ride. Seems as though there may be a design fault which Citroen know about. Take a copy of the article to your dealer and see what they say!
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Can you tell us a little about it (I'm not able to get Car Mechanics here).
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The suggestion is of duff spheres.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Would'nt the good old Citaerobics apply to C5 also - if by any chance air (or sphere gas) has contamintaed the hydraulic's side ?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I would have thought so.
I didn't realise until recently that the C5 was fairly 'normal' as cars go. The brakes and steering are as per a 'normal' car, it's only the suspension that we would now recognise as being 'citroen'.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Having driven both, i reckon the HA3+ system is defintely the one to go for on the C5. It gives a really supple ride at low speeds, with the hard mode for more spirited driving. The standard HA3 system is a bit on the hard side at low speed and gives more body roll when driving fast.
The C5 is a big, heavy car and the true hydractive system is well suited to this.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Unfortunately, I didn't try HA3+, because Citroen dealer here has only one test car. But anyway, I was very satisfied with the ride in non-hydractive one, it was smoother than in my BX in most road conditions (say 95-98%).
Jolittle, here are the heights, measured from the road to the wheel-arch on its highest point, front / rear.
low: 64.0 / 63.5 cm
normal: 68.5 / 69.0 cm
raised: 73.0/74.0 cm
high: 76.5 / 78.5 cm
If your car has different tyres, this numbers will be 'shifted' up or down 1-2 cm. This one had 195/65 R15.
It's interesting that the normal position isn't at the midpoint between low and high, like in older Citroens, but about 2 cm lower. At least in this car. And another thing, raised position was 5 cm above normal, while Citroen paper says 4 cm. Tolerance is, according to Citroen paper, +/- 4 mm.
jolittle
My Cars:

Post by jolittle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skypilot</i>

Go into a newsagents and find the lastest copy of "Car Mechanics". There is an item about the C5's ride. Seems as though there may be a design fault which Citroen know about. Take a copy of the article to your dealer and see what they say!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for the info. I am in Australia and do not get this journal. I have checked out their web site, but could find nothing immediately in their table of contents. Under what heading is the article?