xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

xantia suspension

Post by louis1 »

Hi i have a late 1998 Xantia exclusive V6, it has a button on the dash for stiffer suspension. With the stiff suspension on the car is very bouncy, and with out it on it is a little better but still very bouncy. I dont think it used to be like this. The faster you go the worse it is, if you go over a little bump it bounces like mad. Also the back suspension seems very hard over sleeping policemen. The car had been sitting for a year without being moved and it has done 70.000 miles. What can it be and what can i check.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

louis -
It's very Common for a hydraulic Citroen - to collect air in the suspension system - especially if the car has been left at standstill for long.
You can get rid of this - using Citaerobics :
Engine idle - gear in neutral - handbrakes on.
Set the car to HIGH - then set the car to low.
Allow due time for the height to settle between each setting.
Repeat at least 5 times.
This will vent the air automatically.
You may call all your neighbours to have a look - I'm sure you'd be a very popular entertainer doing this [:D][:D]
The "air" in the system emanates from 2 sources :
1) The suspension gasspheres have a membrane which (very) slowly diffuses out the gas (Nitrogen) into the hydraulic system. This is perfectly normal due to the nature of the sphere construction.
2) Any small (faulty) leaks on the hydraulic pump's suction side will take in atmospheric air (a rotten pump rubber suction hose). This also happens when any part of the system is opened for service - like replacing the gasspheres or a hydraulic line.
The air residing on the hydraulic oil side is highly unwanted in ANY hydraulic system - gives indeed VERY bouncy suspension on a Citroen.