A few questions about C5 2.2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

A few questions about C5 2.2

Post by waynedance »

1. What can be done to improve mpg ? have a k&n panel filter, used wynns egr cleaner, swirl valve works, any other things to clean or check? serviced on time ect.

2. Is the blower fan motor easy to remove? is noisy at speed.

3. Do the xexon bulbs loose efficiency over time?

4. Do these car have any bearings or top mounts on top of the front strut that cause knocks over bumps like other cars?

Thanks
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: A few questions about C5 2.2

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi Waynedance. I can answer some of your questions I hope.

I have one of these too, year is 2002, what year is yours?

1.Normal mpg is around 42 including short shopping trips and school runs which it doesn't like too much, but I often get 47 ish on a run, roof box and fully loaded but driven gently. MPG dives when in traffic queues. I've fitted a K&N too, not sure how it affected economy though, sorry. The swirl valves are fixed in the closed position until I get a new actuator thingy (technical term ). How do these figures compare?

2.Anyone else out there done this?

3. Haven't noticed the xenon efficiency dropping, recently changed one and haven't noticed much difference between the two.

4. Does the front suspension make a "clakkety" sort of noise when driven over bumpy lanes? That could be the drop links, hard to say without more details. Easy to replace though. I've bought some replacements, hope to fit them this weekend.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

1. Not convinced about K&N etc on injection cars, previous exhaustive tests on Saabs i've done have shown paper filters flow more air and are just as efficient at removing airborne particles.

3. Xenons do have a limited lifespan, they will go from white to blue to yellow and then pink before dying totally.

4. Agree 100% on the droplinks, replaced mine and replaced a friends, its very common.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

The OP's question have been well answered I just have two observations and an implicit question wrt to drop links.

Had to change my drop links last year, not sure of exact mileage but about 100K as far as I could see the ones I took off were original citroen, maybe original fit. I say that because when I purchased the car it came with a fair amount of service history which didn't mention drop link changes anywhere. The ones I fitted were aftermarket, just had to do the nearside again this in less than 10K miles. Now in my opinion they should last a lot longer than that. Would be interesting to know other peoples experiences re supplier and life, particularly interested in peoples experience with drop links purchased from Citroen.

Wrt Xenon HIDS, I work with high performance projectors that use HID's not markedly different to those fitted in cars we get about 2500 hrs out of the lamps . After this the light output / colour temperature has changed to unacceptable levels and they have to be changed even though to the naked eye they still appear to be good and indeed for general illumination they would still acceptable.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Thanks for replies car is a 2003 as in my Sig.

Drop links changed as have bottom arms, ball joints, rear arm bushes think thats it. Car just does not feel tight at low speeds over poor roads, I have got some front spheres from gsf had them 6 months but not got the courage to change them yet.

The only thing not changed are the inner rack joints and track rod ends but checked by 2 garages and no play and same for anti roll bar bushes.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.