Crankshaft pulley 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Crankshaft pulley 1.9td

Post by thatfatbloke »

Hi - I need to replace the crankshaft pulley on the Synergie 1.9td. Does anyone know if this is an easy or difficult job please?. Approx how long?. Does anything else need to be replaced at the same time?. Thanks.
1996 Synergie 1.9td - the money pit!!. Long gone.
1997 Lexus LS400 - a proper car.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Crankshaft pulley 1.9td

Post by Lighty »

Depends on your ability and tool kit, its not a very easy job, as the multi ribbed belt has to be removed, the pulley is often seized on the crankshaft and can take some shifting on the XUD engine, I would allow 2 or 3 hrs and be happy if you do it in 1hour.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The biggest task usually is getting the crank pulley bolt undone, especially if it was last done up by a gorilla. There are ways though and the starter motor can be a great help.

Personally, and I bow to your superior knowledge here Lighty, I've not had many pulleys stuck fast. Normally a bit of wriggling and off they come. I've had to resort to a three-legged puller only once so far as I recall and I have a feeling that as on a petrol XU.

The crank pulley has tapped holes to take a puller and if the need arises it's easy to fabricate a puller to make use of these holes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Looking for something else entirely I came across this design for an easily made crank pulley puller
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Agree with you there Jim, the starter motor is your friend.
I've had to undo 4 rather tight pulley bolts with the stater motor method.
Not had problems getting the pulley off the shaft yet, a good sized plastic hammer and a few strikes in the right place and its off.
And even easier if "thatfatbloke" is replacing it.