Wet floor Drivers side Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Diabolical
My Cars:

Wet floor Drivers side Xantia

Post by Diabolical »

After noticing coolant leaking out the joints to elbows leading to Matrix on engine bulkhead side, then wet driver floor immediately Matrix leak.
However though using K-Seal to seal leak that has worked as not leaking from joints any longer but still getting wet driver side carpet.
Ant suggestions on why :?:
I have squeegee windscreen INSIDE most mornings :x
David
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Wet floor Drivers side Xantia

Post by DickieG »

Is the wet floor down to a coolant leak (dampness/carpet feels greasy) or a water leak as in a broken seal allowing water into the cabin?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
stivesc3

Post by stivesc3 »

Have had this problem on 2 cars and it was down to loose seals around doors. Just pushed them back into place and the problem went away.
If you can ,lift up the carpet and allow to dry out.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I could be completely wrong on this, having no direct experience, but just a possibility to check.
When I bought my car I was told the fan unit (RH side of the car) had a water pipe outlet related to the A/c. When A/c is on, it is on automatically when set to demist which you may be doing if windows are steamed up, it extracts water from the air. If the pipe is short it dumps the water into the car on the driver's legs.

If the car was damp after the leak this could be the case as the A/c is dehumidifying then dumping the water back into the car ?
Someone else may know more about this. On my car the seller showed me the old unit (replaced by him) with a very short pipe and said this was a problem but he used a longer pipe so not to worry in future.

Could be wrong but worth a thought.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

You're correct about the A/C drain pipe but it's always on the opposite side to the driver on Xantia's so the pipe is on the N/S (left footwell) for RHD.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Ah, thought I was being clever there by saying driver's side as my car is LHD so passenger side is on the right so wrote it as if for the uk driver's side. I could see how they would risk a leak over the passenger (RH) side but did think it was a bad idea if this was where the driver was (if you see what I mean, confusing myself now). So they just use a longer drain tube.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

If you have a sunroof then quite possibly blocked sunroof drain?? If is blocked will run down the pillar and straight down to the foot well.
If you have a dehumidifyer chuck i in the car overnight, then you can judge the leak better,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you can feel damp under the carpets (slide your hand under the carpet after lifting the door seal rubber) then the only way to dry them out is to have them out. The foam underlay can hold gallons and it'll not dry in-situ, not in a month of Sundays.

In addition to those mentioned, there are two further possible water ingress routes to the driver's side on an RHD car; the steering column rubber boot or the bonnet release cable grommet where it passes through the bulkhead.

It's worth checking the steering column boot to ensure it is snug and tight into the bulkhead.

Also check your driver's side scuttle drain sump is not blocked by leaves; this can be seen from under the bonnet just past the end of the wiper mechanism.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

Thanks for all replies I shall look into all of them over weekend been a bit busy lately.

The Air-Con is something to look into as ever since I've had the car, when I put it on cold night it's always misted the windscreen so bad I need to wipe off, but not with just standard heater.
Strangely enough Air Con does clear a condensation car.

Get back when I've looked.

citroencx.co.uk
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

Looks like may be leaking in @ bottom right hand side of windscreen, the rubber seal on the side had come away and the scuttle had lifted slightly, also Jim drain point was blocked by leaves.

Put silicone in scuttle & screen strip gap, also blew the leaves out with air pressure gun.

Lifted carpet and squeezed out as much water as I could so time will tell.

David

citroencx.co.uk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a shame David :( I've seen one other Xantia leak in that place but on the other side. The only long-term solution is to have the screen out and refitted.

A dead give-away can be milky-white marks on the edge of the screen where moisture has started to delaminate it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...