Xantia oil change litres required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia oil change litres required

Post by charentejohn »

Just done an oil change in my 90 HDI and my workshop manual says 4.2L + 0.3L for filter so 4.5L in all. Just dumped 5L in and only just above minimum, so should it say 5.4L :) or maybe 5.5L. Seems strange but this is what the book says.

Book also says 4.8L + 0.3L for filter for 1.9TD engine.

What should this be in real life ? I will buy some more oil tomorrow my guess is it will take another 0.5L so 5.5L in all but we will see.
Can't think where else the oil would go unless this is the special 1L hollow crankshaft model :?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
jmd
My Cars:

Re: Xantia oil change litres required

Post by jmd »

I have no experience of the Xantia 90 Hdi, but my xantia 110 HDI, always took a little under 5ltrs when doing an oil & filter change. I reckon both cars have the same capacity sump. I always drain oil through the sump. The guy who wrote your workshop manual probably used a vacuum extractor, and that does not do the job completely. Leave your engine at rest for 10 minutes to get a true reading on the dipstick.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use 5 litres in my 406 110 Hdi and shows a fraction above full which is fine.

Peter
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

5.5l sounds like far too much, my hdi recommends the same quantity as yours and to get it to full on the dipstick takes around 4.8l. As you say the oil cannot just be dissappearing inside the engine however i would make absolutely sure that something isnt obstructing the dipstick first before adding more, sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks everyone will do, I will run it for a while and see what happens. I have only let it tick over for a few minutes, maybe there is an air lock or something.
I did have the car on ramps to drain so I think I got every last drop (more or less anyway) out.
The oil level indicator on the dash goes out so should be ok, just strange reading on the dipstick.

Just checked again after leaving it overnight and now at the half way mark on the dipstick but black oil, so I assume it is a blockage or similar. I assume the dipstick is in a dead end of some sort a good run round should sort it out.

Just edited to say I ran an air line into the dipstick tube and the level then went down a bit, also the oil level warning light flashed at me when I turned the engine on. Stop / start and oil level light went out ok.
I then looked at the diagram in the manual and can well believe it is bunged up as it shows a tube going from front to rear of the sump carrying the oil to the dipstick, so no doubt bunged up. Was ok before oul chnage but oil had always been hot so obviously ok after a run.
Next oil change I will shove an air line down the tube to clear it when the oil is hot. I can imagine emptying via the dipstick, as I think was done last time, would be a worse practice on a system like this than most cars.

Would running a nylon strimmer line clear it ? I have lots of this, about 1.5mm, or is this not a good idea.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I would be inclined to cut my losses, & put in a tin of oil detergent, go by directions, drain the sump and re-fill with new oil . seems a pity I know to waste a sump full of oil, but extreme cases deserve extreme measures. You will have the consolation of knowing that you have done a good job.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I did use the Forte flush and it worked well, I will post a photos of the tin I drained the oil into (when my camera batteries finally charge up) as I was amazed. I went to check how much oil I removed and noticed the drain tin (plastic really) was very very clean. I think I drained about 5L based on having filled a 5L container to the brim when emptying the drain tin, so probably 5.5L in all. That and the sludge that was in the drain tin to start with, a small amount left. Hard to say exactly but could be 5L + a bit.

I think it is the length and shape of the dipstick tube that is strange, this is bound to hold old oil. especially if someone sucked old sludge into it, when draining the last bit, as part of sucking out the old oil.
Next oil change, when actually draining the oil, I will fill the dipstick tube with warm oil and blast it through with an air line as part of the process. Hopefully a couple of goes with this should clear it of all gunge.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just checked the day after a long run and with 5L in it was just above minimum. So added about another 150ml and now on max.
Perhaps someone switched the engine for a 1.9TD ?

No idea why it would take that much more, sump is aluminium, car has A/c and drain plug is at the back of the sump. Were there different sumps, perhaps this makes a difference ?
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Just sounds like a little too much, assuming its the hdi 4.8l would normally fill it, i don't suppose someone has replaced the dipstick in the past with an unsuitable one
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Exactly what I've been thinking 411514. I have had three Xantias. 2 - 1.9 XUD's and a 2.0Hdi all took less than 5Ltrs of oil (you seem about right at 4.8Ltrs) Sumps would have been all the same size. I reckon your problem is that it is a non - xantia dipstick. Check for an xantia dipstick in a breakers yard.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jmd wrote: Check for an Xantia dipstick in a breakers yard.
Or get a new one from a dealer. They're no expensive. Most have a habit of disintegrating so you may be lucky to find a good one in a scrappy anyway ...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks I will do that as it does seem strange, with 4.5L of oil the oil level warning light in the car went out but it was still only just touching the dipstick. I added the other 300ml for the filter and it was still at the same level, I am guessing the difference between min and max is about 300ml anyway.

Would someone with an HDI and a tape measure mind measuring the length of the dipstick, length of metal oiece and length of the plastic bit to where it stops at the top of the dipstick tube ? That will give a quick check of any obvious changes.
Once I know how long the dipstick should be I can judge where the oil needs to be now.

If it is too high I will drain a bit out, about 200ml from the sound of it.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Length of the plastic bit to where it stops at the top of the dipstick is 1 inch or so but not important. The length of metal inserted in the engine from the top of the filler cap is 21 inches. Length of dipstick from furthest end to min level is .5 inches. Length from top (base or furthest point) of dipstick to max oil level is 1.75 inches . This measurement was taken from 1.9 Xantis XUD engine, which is similar to the Hdi engine for this purpose. Hoping this proves helpful
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks JMD I measured from the end of the dipstick to the top of the plasic bit where it meets the top of the tube and it is just under 21" and the low level notch is 1/8" from the end. From high to the top is 19 5/8"
So this dipstick is longer, if I used yours it would read 3/8" below your max level. If I used yours I ould need to add more oil so I need someone to come up with a longer dipstick. At least it proves there are differences in the dipsticks.

Good point to use the length from top of the tube to the high point though as that is what I am really looking for so my dipstick is 19 5/8" or just under 50cm. Can anyone get near that ?
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Could just be a dodgy dipstick (anyone know the real length) but there are varying views from oil sellers i.e.
These say 4.3L http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Xanti ... 0766981321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This lot offer 5L but no hint as to how much needed http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finde ... der-2.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dazed and confused :?