New C5 Owner With A Few Issues!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Hi,

New user returning to Citroen ownership after a few years!

I've just bouhgt a 2008 VTR+ 2.0HDI Tourer (manual) and am shocked at the fuel economy!

It's on 110k with FCSH an drives beautifully apart from a very minor (almost unnoticeable) hesitation when cold.

I've noticed that the oil temperature gets up more quickly than coolant, which is odd, and the once p to temperature, which doesn't take long, the temperature fluctuates between 6 or 7 segments bein lit up.

The economy is in the bottom 40s mpg and that's with AC off and driving Miss Daisy, as I daren't try any harder!

My previous car was a 2001 Audi A4 TDi 115 and I'd have to rag it to get below 50mpg, so I'm kinda shocked.

It also has 18 inch Exclusive wheels, and I can't find the correct tyre pressures anywhere, so have kept them at the 35psi as stated for the standard 17s.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Re: New C5 Owner With A Few Issues!

Post by fifth_cit »

I have a C5 Tourer 2.0HDi SX and mine does far better than that. 30 to 35 around town, 50+ on CC at 70 travelling from Greater Manchester to Durham.
Can't fault mine apart from the small knock that I have just posted.
Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Welcome to the FCF :)

It could well be that the temperature problem and the low economy is connected. It could be a faulty sensor.

I know a few people with C5III 2.0HDis and they get similar MPG, maybe mid 40s on average but more on a run.

My C5II with the same engine averages 46-48MPG and it gets driven quickly with not much thought to MPG. If im on a long run then it will easily do 55 and nudge 60 if trying. If im really trying hard I can get my average up to 55. Though the C5III has put on the pounds over the II so it will be a bit lower than that.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oil temperature going up faster than the coolant is entirely normal on a 2.0 HDi at this time of the year - nothing to worry about.

The reason is because the pistons are pressure oil cooled and for this reason, a lot of heat gets dumped into the oil almost from the start.

Also, they're so thermally efficient that not much heat gets dumped into the cooling system in cool weather. Coolant takes ages to warm and some Xantia HDi models had auxiliary water heaters because of this 'problem'. In very hot weather you may see the oil and coolant temperature rise more or less simultaneously. Mine does when the auxiliary water heater is doing it's thing.

Economy does seem a bit off. My first move would be to get a Lexia diagnostic carried out to ensure all is happy. Many of our members offer this service. A list can be found here.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Think you might struggle to beat the Audi on mpg, that vag lump is very good for that Iam afraid, but as suggested a plug in wont hurt.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Hi,

Thank you all for posting replies so quickly!

I'll get it checked out in a couple of weeks, as I'm out of the country at the moment, and there's a great indy nearby that I used to use when I had my old Xantia 2.1td!

From the sound of things, I shouldn't be worrying too much as it's behaviour has been consistent since I bought it in December, and has started up perfectly after being left for a week twice at Bristol Airport before Christmas (touch wood, it's on the drive for 10 days as I'm away again right now!).

I fully appreciate it's not going to be as efficient as the A4, but it's got to get better than it is currently...

I'll post my findings once I've had it checked out.

Many thanks again for the helpful, welcoming posts to this newbie!

Kind regards,

Nick
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

On my car there is a button on the right hand side of the dash board labelled "Check". When I press mine a dialogue box is displayed saying "No Fault" so I consider this may display any stored fault codes.

Maybe worth a press
Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the suggestion, and already pressed it a few times to get the same encouraging 'no fault' message.

I forgot to mention that I have checked the air filter, which although dusty looks relatively new and clean, however the air box was full of debris and detritus so I gave it a good clean out thinking that it couldn't be helping matters.

The actual intake pipe going into the bottom of the airbox is quite loose, so I wonder if it's drawing in warm air from the engine bay?
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I have a 2010 VTR+ Tourer, same engine, I've done aboout 3k miles and the car has done 22k. Seem to get 44 on average - 42 round town, 46 on long run and 50'ish when gentle. Had hoped for better, but its a big heavy beast and goes quite quickly when asked. Compared with my SAAB 9-5 Auto (23 in town, 27 to 31 out and about) it's a treat.

Did a long windy run up the A1 a couple of weeks back, quiet day not much traffic. 400 mile round trip, not usually obsessive about fuel consumption but decided to reset trip 1 at both ends of journey. Wind on way there made a -4 mpg difference. FIrst few miles when cold is bad news for any engine so will be interesting to see what it's like in warmer weather.

Temperature gauges behave just like yours, reassuring perhaps.

Lert us know if you find anything that improves matters.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the post; it makes me think that this is just howvit's go
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Apologies for the unfinished last post - tapping away on the mobile...

I did just pick up an email from my girlfriend saying that she's using it while I'm away too, which means it's going to have dropped even further as she only has a 3 mile journey to work!!!

Anyway, I was just trying to thank you for your comments, which seem to reflect what I'm experiencing with my wagon - you're right, it is heavy and does have a turn of speed when needed.

I'll still get it checked out, however in talking to my brother-in-law who has a new Mondeo estate, he wondered what I was complaining about - guess the Audi was just exceptional on fuel (it was even more efficient than our Fiesta Zetec-S TDCi...)

Thanks again,

Nick
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Well it seems that I may be a bit closer to finding out what the problem is...

I got a new set of tyres on the rear at the weekend and drove down to Devon yesterday - mpg went up to 48.6 until I got into town!

The journey was a steady 70mph with cruise on and A/C off.

I'll see how it goes, but initially it seems that it may have been down to the tyres!

Nick
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

Just out of interest - what tyres, what pressures?
Richard_C

Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
alka-seltzer

Post by alka-seltzer »

Hi Richard,

35psi all round, nitrogen filled.

Continental Sport Contact 3 on the front (were on the back too), and Avon ZZ5 on the rear.

The Contis are a higher speed rating of Y, but the new Avons are W, which I'll get on the front when the Contis need replacing.

Funnily enough, the economy dropped back to around 44 on my way back up the M5 the other day - whatever!!!
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

Ah - mine are only 78% Nitrogen filled .............

I have had a load of short trips in the last 2 weeks, very cold starts, 3 - 5 miles. Nothing longer. Traffic. Dropped to 40.3, which I am pleased with, expected worse.

Recently fitted Falkens Ziex 912 on the front to replace the original Michelins, saved over £100 and the Falkens have no obvious disadvantages. They are OK on cold tarmac too, the Michelins seemed not to like that very much. Work OK in fresh snow as well, not a snow tyre of course but better than many I have had.

On the C5 the ESP seems to work fine, not as reassuring as the old SAAB but you can certainly tell when you switch it off. The 'snow traction' seems to work OK too - deliberately gave it too much ooomph to see what would happen. It cuts engine power and you make glacial progress, but at least it's progress.

Even with all the electronics, in deep snow nothing matches the Dyane that I used to have. 602cc of sheer power and big narrow wheels.

(off topic, my daughter passed her test in October. Took her out last Sunday for a drive in the fresh crunchy snow in the C3, antilock but no traction control - and she got pretty good at it. Then we went into a big empty car park and I said "yank the handbrake on hard" - so she did - so now she knows why you don't - but importantly after an a hour of fun she knows what ABS feels like, what its limits are, how not to panic and how to get about.)
Richard_C