Floppy Xantia handbrake!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jodyone

Floppy Xantia handbrake!

Post by Jodyone »

The handbrake on my new-to-me Xantia (2000 HDI 90) has just declared itself useless. There was a clonk or two and now it's.. floppy. I'll be trying to sort it tomorrow- where should I begin? Is the cable likely to have slipped in a clamp at the calipers -or elsewhere; or is it likely more complicated? The car was Mot'd a week ago by the garage I bought it from (sold as seen), but as an mot item I wonder if I should approach them for goodwill assistance if it gets complicated? Thanks for any help!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Floppy Xantia handbrake!

Post by jgra1 »

Jody, I am wondering if one cable snapped whether the other would become useless or at best - slack.. pop the front wheels off and i suspect all will be revealed..
changing the cables is not hard or that expensive to be honest :)

John
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

jgra1 wrote:Jody, I am wondering if one cable snapped whether the other would become useless or at best - slack.. pop the front wheels off and i suspect all will be revealed..
changing the cables is not hard or that expensive to be honest :)

John
I was wondering that too, as I'm not clear how it all links up. Hopefully wheels off will make it clear, but as it's all new to me I wondered if there is a known fail point elsewhere. Thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only known fail point is the cables snapping at the caliper end.

Remember the handbrake works on the front calipers on Hydraulic Citroens. If you look at the cables you'll see they run through guide rings and over time these guide rings wear the outer sheath of the cable and allow water in which rusts and eventually weakens the cable. It then snaps.

Cable replacement is easy. The opposite ends clip into a compensator on the side of the transmission tunnel and access can be gained by releasing the exhaust heatshield clips and just pulling the heatshield down just enough to gain access. The old cable nipples flick out and new ones push in.

Be aware that the cables are 'handed' and that 'big engine' versions (the V6, Activa, 2.1TD and 110 HDi) use a different sized LH cable to all the others.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Thanks for the clarification Jim. At least I know what to expect to find tomorrow. I'll wait till then to order the new cables though, just in case it's something odd- until it's fixed I'm heel-and-toeing on the hill starts...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Well, it turned out to be the driver side cable, failed in exactly the place Jim guessed. Jgra- it looks like the load is balanced between the 2 cables, and failure of one means the other won't work either, because the splitter, unloaded on one side, tilts uselessly to the other, when you pall the handbrake. At least it does on mine.

I've ordered a new cable, it looks straightforward to fit as Jim described. Thanks all!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good news Jody ;)

yep as Jim says, water getting in is one problem, also being front wheel handbrakes, the cables get a fair bit of movement with the steering..
there are advantages to them mind.. J-turns in reverse in an icy carpark for example :)

john
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Jody :-D Good guess on my part then :wink: :lol: :lol:

The compensator/splitter hardly ever gives trouble due to it's protected location and yours is working perfectly!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...