Any electrical gurus on here?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Prilliant03
My Cars:

Any electrical gurus on here?

Post by Prilliant03 »

I'll admit right away that I know a little less than nothing about vehicle electrics.

Anyhoo, the Xantia seems to have a small parasitic drain somewhere. It's not enough to flatten the battery overnight. Symptoms are that the little alarm LED in the drivers door and the window switch illumination is always on, even with the ignition off and the car locked. The electric windows also now work with no key in the ignition. Around the same time I also lost my RHS stereo speakers. Not sure if these problems are linked.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking? My instinct says to start pulling fuses and see which one kills the live circuits, then trace the wiring on thet circuit to find the fault, but surely that's a bit too simple.
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Any electrical gurus on here?

Post by RichardW »

I'd have a look for broken wires in the tube going into the driver's door first....
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yup, Id second that.. Its hugely likely after a lot of door opening and closing the wires between the car and door break up, and its likely to be picking a live from else where....

Unfortunally on the xantia the harness is hard wired from the car right through to the door, so removing a door involves removing the door card and unplugging the harness from the various items and pulling it through..

Try pulling the wiring gromet back either way and check for broken wires.. But its highly likely indeed.

The annoying thing is though, where the wires have broken you cannot simply solder them back together, as they have weathered and deteriated solder does NOT stick to the wires.. The easyest way is to remove the door and re solder/join them further down by fitting new wires...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

citroenxm wrote:Yup, Id second that.. Its hugely likely after a lot of door opening and closing the wires between the car and door break up, and its likely to be picking a live from else where....

Unfortunally on the Xantia the harness is hard wired from the car right through to the door, so removing a door involves removing the door card and unplugging the harness from the various items and pulling it through..

Try pulling the wiring gromet back either way and check for broken wires.. But its highly likely indeed.

The annoying thing is though, where the wires have broken you cannot simply solder them back together, as they have weathered and deteriated solder does NOT stick to the wires.. The easyest way is to remove the door and re solder/join them further down by fitting new wires...
What he said but as a side just check the fuses are all in there correct homes and not bridging the constant live and switched (as in fuse 1 can be placed so that the radio stays on all the time) i'm not sure if its possible with others i've not looked but it maybe worth a check
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Yup, Id second that.. Its hugely likely after a lot of door opening and closing the wires between the car and door break up, and its likely to be picking a live from else where....

Unfortunally on the Xantia the harness is hard wired from the car right through to the door, so removing a door involves removing the door card and unplugging the harness from the various items and pulling it through..

What he said but as a side just check the fuses are all in there correct homes and not bridging the constant live and switched (as in fuse 1 can be placed so that the radio stays on all the time) i'm not sure if its possible with others i've not looked but it maybe worth a check
Chris is speaking of the shunt 'fuse' marked SH and being grey in colour. It should straddle the F8 and F23 positions in the cabin fusebox. There should be no fuse in the F8 or F23 positions.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...