C5 as a Taxi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gerrycarr22
My Cars:

C5 as a Taxi

Post by gerrycarr22 »

I'm planning to use a C5 as a taxi.
Having read some of the warnings about messing with multiplex wiring is there likely to be any problems that I need to make the installer aware of when installing the 2 way radio and the taximeter?
Has anyone any experiences in this area?
Thanks for any help
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gerry -
I'm pretty sure your Citroen dealer will help you on this -
Most likely they'll get any needed special info ASAP direct off France - since I'm sure the C5 is allready in use as taxi in France.
Bet you'll be pretty popular driving a C5 taxi [;)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

do you know what connections need to be made on the meter ? for the 2way radio im pretty sure its just a constant live & earth,in that case if you just wire it direct to the battery (fused of course) you should have no problems.dont know what other connections need to be made for the meter (possibly speedo),if you can find out i may be able to help out more.do NOT pass the wires through a grommet in the bulkhead if there are allready wires in it,if you cant find a spare grommet then (carefully) drill a new hole & fit with grommet.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

It can be done - there are about half a dozen lads on the cabs using C5's round here.
gerrycarr22
My Cars:

Post by gerrycarr22 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>

do you know what connections need to be made on the meter ? for the 2way radio im pretty sure its just a constant live & earth,in that case if you just wire it direct to the battery (fused of course) you should have no problems.dont know what other connections need to be made for the meter (possibly speedo),if you can find out i may be able to help out more.do NOT pass the wires through a grommet in the bulkhead if there are allready wires in it,if you cant find a spare grommet then (carefully) drill a new hole & fit with grommet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
gerrycarr22
My Cars:

Post by gerrycarr22 »

Thanks for your help
I understand that the meter takes a pulse generated by teh ABS, Differential or gearbox depending on manufacturer. . I assume it is the same as the speedo uses. On my current Rover the meter is connected to a little junction box on the bulkhaed.
Thanks for the tip on not using any grommet with existing wiring. What's the rreason for that?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if it is fitted with a speedo drive in the gearbox it will probably be pin 3 on its connector.if its a model without a speedo drive in the gearbox then it gets its info from the ABS like you said.as for the grommet even if they think the wire its sealed up well it can work itself open again,water can travel down the wire & into the connectors.it may be tempting to use the main wiring loom grommet at the n/s of the car which is right above the BSI (the multiplex controll unit) which is the last place you want water in.make sure where the wire comes in there are no electrical components right underneath it.