xantia v6 starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

xantia v6 starter motor

Post by dowen »

Can anyone help? Ive got a dodgy starter, about once a week I get nothing but the solenoid click, allways when Im an awkward place, last week Heathrow drop off, or after filling up!
The solenoid is getting its 12v, so must be starter, I have changed many starters in the past, but not a v6.In fact I have never even looked under my car yet.
So, can anyone give me a brief run down on whats involved, do I have good access, and how long will it take me on my drive in the rain?

Regs Dave.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia v6 starter motor

Post by xantia_v6 »

last things first... with practice you can have it out in 5 minutes, but the first time you should allow considerably longer.

The job is mainly made difficult by the proximity of the exhaust downpipe, which gets in the way of spanners and hands.

The little heat shield is held on by 2 10mm bolts which are just recessed far enough that you can't get a standard ring spanner on then, and the exhaust pipe makes it awkward to get a ratchet on.

The electrical terminals are relatively easy to undo (check that the main terminal is tight before you go any further)

If you have a ratchet drive and short extensions of just the right length, the 3 starter bolts (16mm heads?) are relatively easy, but one of them can't be fully withdrawn due to the presence of the exhaust pipe.

getting the heat shield screws back in can be a good test of dexterity and patience.

The original starters seem to be quite troublesome, and most cars seem to have had them replaced by now. I think that one of the main causes is that the wiring from the ignition switch is a bit light, and the solenoid does not pull in with enough force and the main contacts in the solenoid burn away. I have now fitted an extra relay to mine (after going through 2 solenoids).
dowen

Post by dowen »

Many thanks for your help, I removed starter today, and it wasnt raining! Not as bad as I expected, more than five mins!
I was expecting to be able to clean contacts on solenoid! I shouldve known it was sealed. Brushes etc are good, so its as I expected solenoid contacs.
Im going to beef up connection between starter relay and solenoid, the wire doesnt look man enough to me, Im sure theres some volt drop.
Thanks again for your help. Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

Here's the starter circuit. This one is the unmodified version:

Original Starter Circuit

And this is the modified one with a 'helper' relay to up the volts a bit at the solenoid...

Modified Circuit

Note these diagrams are for the Mk1 V6 but the MK2 is very similar, if not almost identical where it matters.

I mounted the additional relay in a spare hole in the engine bay fuse box.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

http://www.woodauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have solenoids for about £20. (search their site for SND12903)
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Jim and V6. Do you know I stripped starter, cleaned out solenoid copper plunger with switch cleaner, of course I couldnt get to contacts as I hoped, and do you know its working fine, there used to be a split second delay after the solenoid click and motor turning, I put this down to a high resistance situation! Now its instant.
Woodauto is out of stock at moment, I might just buy a solenoid anyway. The thing is if ever I buy anything "in case I might need it" I never need it! So If I buy one its A win win!
By the way V6 I once put a v12 Jag engine with 6 twin choke webbers. in a Dax Cobra replica. If I hadnt got the steering wheel to hang on to I wouldve been out the back window every time!
Many thanks. Dave.