Late Xantia remote fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jodyone

Late Xantia remote fob

Post by Jodyone »

All

I've just bought a 2000 Xantia HDI (90). Ostensibly, as an efficient motorway mule for some heavy miles I have this year, and to take the pressure of my Merc W123 which otherwise takes too much of my time (and money)... Of course, I've immediately fallen in love with the Citroen, rediscovered my enthusiasm for hydro-pnuematique (I had an XM once), and now have two cars to worry and obsess about.

Anyway. The remote fob doesn't work. I read everything I could find here, but I'm still confused. I changed the battery, the micro switches seem to work, but nothing happens. I tried pressing them with the ignition on- nothing. How do I begin to trouble shoot it!?

Many thanks for any help!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Late Xantia remote fob

Post by DickieG »

Welcome to the forum, have you checked that the fob is transmitting? If it is then it may need coding to your car for which you need firstly the four digit code then someone like me with the Citroen diagnostic tool called a Lexia to program the fob to your car.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Thanks DickieG. I don't know how to check if the fob is transmitting- there's no led or similar that I can see (or is that just because it isn't working!?). I've no reason to think it isn't the original fob. I tried two new batteries from different sources. Are there any easy checks I can do on the PCB? Along the lines of- "bridge these two contacts with a bulb/meter?"
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I have a useful tool which checks remote fobs (IR and RF) for signals, if you don't have one of those then I can't think how you can easily do it.

If you look on this thread it shows the locations of forum members who have a Lexia which is another way of sorting it out provided you have the four digit code.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is an infrared remote you can check that it is transmitting by looking at it through the viewscreen of a digital camera (or phonecam) and pressing the buttons. If it is operating you will see the IR LED at the front light up.

:welc:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:If it is an infrared remote
No, sadly it's an RF remote. It transmits in the 70cm (433Mhz) band. You can test it with a scanning receiver that covers these frequencies or as the frequency is actually within an Amateur Radio band, a local amateur may be able to help.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Thanks all. I'm in Cornwall, and commuting to Wales for a few months.. An annoying big gap on that map! Though, when I work in london, I stay near slough, so maybe I'll come and find you and your fantastic machine, DickieG. Otherwise, I'll look out for some Local amateur radio helpers.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

No doubt thats south wales....

Its not uncommon for a locking trasmitter to stop talking to the car.. Despite whats said you cannot get.them to talk without the lexia computer as mentioned above...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Despite whats said you cannot get.them to talk without the lexia computer as mentioned above...
All I meant Paul was that a local amateur would be able to check to see if the fob was transmitting an RF signal. Indeed it would be an exceedingly able amateur who could resync the fob with the car without aid of Lexia and access code :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

citroenxm wrote:No doubt thats south wales....

Its not uncommon for a locking trasmitter to stop talking to the car.. Despite whats said you cannot get.them to talk without the lexia computer as mentioned above...

Paul
Sadly, yes, south Wales. I wasn't clear- I understood that the best I could hope from a radio ham type was to discover whether or not my key fob is emitting anything, rather than a total fix. If not, at least I'd know it's not worth finding somebody with the magic box.
sprout
My Cars:

Post by sprout »

How/Where does one find the "four digit code" ?

Thanks
Current: C5 2008 2.0HDi Auto Exclusive (Ireland born) + VW Touareg V10
Previous Cits: CX2000, BX 1.9L, BX 16V, Xant VSX TD, Xant 2.0HDI (110) Exclusive
Some others: Fords1600E, Capri 3000GXL, Granada Scorpio, Mitubishi Starion Saab's 900, 900 Turbo, 9000 Aero, 2 Jeeps
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

sprout wrote:How/Where does one find the "four digit code" ?

Thanks
It was originally supplied in the owners handbook pack on a 'credit card' style card with a scratch panel to reveal it.

If it's missing then any Citroen dealer can get it for you (at small cost) on production of the V5C showing the VIN number and proof of who you are...
Jim

sprout
My Cars:

Post by sprout »

CitroJim wrote:

Thanks
It was originally supplied in the owners handbook pack on a 'credit card' style card with a scratch panel to reveal it.

If it's missing then any Citroën dealer can get it for you (at small cost) on production of the V5C showing the VIN number and proof of who you are...
Ah that's interesting as I just looked that out for the Radio code needed since changing the fuel pump a couple of days ago.

My lad tried various codes the wife tells me while on the way to school!!! I now have a row of four ==== showing :roll: so for that I have disconnected the battery and hope it will burst back into life?

Just going to get the credit card with the radio number out of the car and see if there is a scratch and sniff section :)

Will update in a bit

Thanks for the quick response.
Previous Cits: CX2000, BX 1.9L, BX 16V, Xant VSX TD, Xant 2.0HDI (110) Exclusive
Some others: Fords1600E, Capri 3000GXL, Granada Scorpio, Mitubishi Starion Saab's 900, 900 Turbo, 9000 Aero, 2 Jeeps
sprout
My Cars:

Post by sprout »

sprout wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Thanks

If it's missing then any Citroën dealer can get it for you (at small cost) on production of the V5C showing the VIN number and proof of who you are...
Ah that's interesting as I just looked that out for the Radio code needed since changing the fuel pump a couple of days ago.

My lad tried various codes the wife tells me while on the way to school!!! I now have a row of four ==== showing :roll: so for that I have disconnected the battery and hope it will burst back into life?

Just going to get the credit card with the radio number out of the car and see if there is a scratch and sniff section :)

Will update in a bit

Thanks for the quick response.
mmm sadly it is is not scratch and sniff :(

It is just an area to write on.

Ignition Key: completed in pen
Remote code: Naked :(
Radio Security code: completed in pen
Anti-theft code: 3 lines but also blank

Can the Lexia retrieve this four digit code?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not good :(

The dealer will also be able to advise your radio code too. You'll have to leave it switched on now for a log time (hours) to resent it to enable another go at code entry.

There's an Irish bloke, who's name escapes me right now, who can also supply all codes for your car at a small cost. Hopefully he'll pop up and announce himself shortly...
Jim