Greetings..and help??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allante666

Greetings..and help??

Post by Allante666 »

Hi all
I have an old 97 Xantia 1.9 diesel which I need to put a new clutch in. Ive seen where it says you need a special tool to get the thrust bearing to snap back into the pressure plate? Just wondering if this is a bit of Citroen spin or do you really need it?
Also is there anything I should be aware of when doing the job. (im an ex mechanic but havent done a citroen clutch before)

Thanks in advance

Andy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Greetings..and help??

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Andy and welcome... :-D

The bit about needing a special tool to engage the release bearing is quite true but it only applies to the larger engined Xantias with the ML5 gearbox and hydraulic clutch (2.1TD, Activa and 110HDi).

Yours, being a 1.9TD, will have the BE3 box and there's no need for any special tools except a standard clutch centering tool when doing the job.

For a guide on replacing the 1.9TD clutch, take a look at this thread. It's really not a bad job.

A few of us on here have done a few now so any questions, just fire away...

As an ex-mechanic you'll find the job a doddle :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

HI, Many thanks for that, Ill toddle off and have a read of the thread. Its not a TD by the way its and SD, I assume thats just a non turbo? (Im not that au fait with the car as Ive had to buy it quickly. Ive just been ripped off of a £5000 Grand Cherokee by a crooked dealer in Bristol. Its still ongoing and hopefully Ill get something out of it but its in th ehands of my solicitors at the moment, and trading standards, and Avon constabulary. oh and also told BBC watchdog so watch this space. he took my Jeep and sold me another, it was faulty so he took it back. That was November!!. Im still Jeepless but I digress..sorry)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The SD will be very similar Andy but I'm not 100% sure if the SD has the same 'pull' clutch as the TD (a pull clutch being where the release bearing is captive on the cover and is pulled outward to release the clutch) or a conventional 'push' clutch. The difference in procedure will be minimal except that to do a conventional push clutch is a lot easier then a pull type! The one tricky area on a pull clutch is engaging the release bearing in it's forks as you slide the gearbox back on. A job for an Octopus :lol:

Sorry to hear about the Bristol ripoff :( Fingers crossed it'll all resolve in a very satisfactory manner...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

Well the clutch they have sent looks pretty much like a standard clutch and release bearing. The bearing has what appear to be two little 'ears' but i havent opened the packet to look properly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like a pull clutch then; confirm it is by seeing the release bearing is captive to the diaphragm spring...
Jim

Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

and

Hope they come out
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a conventional push clutch. Easier to do :-D The ears simply clip on to the release arm forks. You can see the little 'tangs' on the ears.

The notes hold good, just ignore the bits about lining up the release bearing and engaging the forks.

I've just checked and that is the correct clutch for the SD.
Jim

Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

Great stuff. My next comment was going to be 'As long as theyve sent the right one' but you just answered that. So no special tools, all pretty straightforward hopefully. Thanks, Ill let you know how it goes.
Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

Presumably then I dont have to disconnect the rlease lever to allow it turn either
Allante666

Greetings..and help??

Post by Allante666 »

And what's this depressurising the system consist of? Is that a bolt on top of the regulator at the front of the engine?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.338691,0.262170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

make sure those ears sit properly Andy.. i have pulled out a newish, destroyed clutch, due to the ears coming off the fingers and melting themselves silly ;)
Allante666

Post by Allante666 »

Thanks Ill check that. I take it the gearbox has its own oil, how much does it need to refill it do you know offhand?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Allante666 wrote:Presumably then I dont have to disconnect the rlease lever to allow it turn either
Not on a push clutch :-D Removing the lever on a pull clutch cam be a task :twisted: However, do check the nylon bushes in the bellhousing that the clutch release shaft runs in. They can wear and it's not a bad idea to replace them. They are silly cheap from a dealer.
Allante666 wrote:And what's this depressurising the system consist of? Is that a bolt on top of the regulator at the front of the engine?
Undo the only 12mm bolt on the front of the pressure regulator just half a turn, no more, and you'll hear a hiss and rush as LHM is returned to the reservoir. It is now safe/less messy to disconnect hydraulic pipes from the regulator.
Allante666 wrote:I take it the gearbox has its own oil, how much does it need to refill it do you know offhand?
Yes, and it must be drained before removing the driveshafts. Capacity is 1.7 litres and you must only use Total BV or a an equivalent 75W/80 oil (Comma do one) made especially for Peugeot/Citroen gearboxes. Any other oil makes the gearchange a bit stiff and can damage the synchro hubs.

Two things that make gearbox replacement much easier: Remove the RH (long) driveshaft completely and also remove the speedo drive housing (three bolts) from the diff housing. It's easy to refit once the gearbox is back home but mind the big O ring seal.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the way to tell which clutch is in you car is, if the inner cable at the gear box end is fitted to a fixed/stationery bracket and the outer cable attatched to the fork actuatting lever, this type is a pull clutch,

if the inner cable is attatched to the fork actuatting lever it is a conventional push clutch as your picys show,

as you say you car is a non turbo it should be as your new clutch kit a conventional push clutch,

regards malcolm