Xsara - clicking clutch - 1999 1.8 twin cam 5sp manual

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Xsara - clicking clutch - 1999 1.8 twin cam 5sp manual

Post by UFO »

All

We recently bought a fourth Citroen, well we bought it to secure it for my stepson and partner now that they have moved to Sydney as he returned from two years in the UK.

The car has only done 73,000 km in its 11 year life and has been very well maintained by the previous owner. It's even had 2 cambelt replacements in that time! It is a very tight and tidy car. However there is only one problem that we discovered an hour or so after collecting it two days ago. The clutch pedal seems to be slightly heavy and lumpy at the end of inwards travel and sometimes a "click" can be heard at the end of the inwards clutch pedal travel.

As we know the car has been relatively unused for the past six months as its ex owner is now resident in London, I thought it may just be stiffened up and I put some spray grease on the pedal hinge point. However later inspection while someone was activating the pedal indicated that the click was coming from below the clutch lever on top of the gearbox.

The clutch shows no sign of wear in that it is not slipping and gearchanges are smooth etc. As per some other documentation I found on line the cable adjustment is automatic.

Can anyone offer any clues as to what may be causing this click and lumpy pedal, or is it just that this is the way Xsara clutches are?

Thanks
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xsara - clicking clutch - 1999 1.8 twin cam 5sp manual

Post by citronut »

if the pedel action is very heavy the clutch is at the end of its life, the clicking could be the thrust bearing has worn through the presure plate fingers,

regards malcolm
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Bugger! Not what I wanted to hear and surprised it is gone after only 73,000km.

Ah well at least it's not a daunting job. In the past I have done 2 clutch changes on D Specials and a clutch on a BX TRi. So with no hydraulics in the way it should be fairly easy unless the Bureau de Bastarde was allowed to have their way in the Xsara design. 8-[
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

takeittodavidcollierhewillfixitforyou. </danielsydney>

BTW Nige tells me you are selling all manner of paraphernalia on Fleabay, bar the purple unicorn.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

veryfunnyaddodon'tggiveupyadayjob!

Yes having a fleabay clearout of stuff. More to come!
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia