C3 1.4LX Random Starting Problems!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sammic3
New User

C3 1.4LX Random Starting Problems!

Post by sammic3 »

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble with my 2002 C3 1.4 LX, its covered less than 40k and is having random starting problems.

Normally after 3-4 days the remote central locking wont work and the car wont start.

To solve, I manually use the key to open the drivers side door (which uses the central locking to unlock the other 3 doors) there is no alarm or sounds at all.

Once open I try to start the car, it just ticks over, no indication on starting, like the immobliser is stopping it?

This is when I have to open the bonnet and disconnect the lead and re-connect it, after that it all starts again no problem. [-X

This is driving me crazy, and is very random, I cant replicate the issue...
It cant be the battery if I just disconnect and reconnect can it? if it was flat then it shouldn't start at all should it?

Thanks
Samantha
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C3 1.4LX Random Starting Problems!

Post by myglaren »

It may still be the battery.
C5s of similar vintage, among others, are prone to rather random electrical disturbances if the battery voltage dips a bit.
You don't say what length of time the battery has been installed but it could well be the original and if so could easily be the problem, depending on how it has been cared for and what kind of a life it has had.
The falling voltage could give rise to the problems and disconnecting/reconnecting could well work like a Windows reboot on a computer.
That said, there is a bit of a procedure to disconnecting and reconnecting batteries on cars such as ours. Failure to observe this procedure could cause some serious problems with the various ECUs fitted to the car.

If there is a way you could install a known good battery for a few days, get yours checked and fully recharged then that would be a good indication of where the problem might lie. If you can eliminate the battery as a source of your problems at an early stage it would certainly make further fault finding simpler.

Does the car do lots of short trips? If so the battery may never get fully charged and won't do it any good at all, especially this time of year with aircon, fans, screen heaters and lights all on at the same time.

If it is not going to be used for several days then perhaps just take the battery out and recharge it could be the cheap and simple answer.

Welcome to the FCF :welc:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: C3 1.4LX Random Starting Problems!

Post by DickieG »

From our description I'd be checking that the battery terminals are not suffering from corrosion where they attach to the battery posts, also are they tight when you go to remove them as in needing to use a spanner to undo the terminal? If you can simply twist/pull them off then they are too loose and you may well have found the source of the fault.

If you mean by "it just ticks over" that the starter is turning the engine but it's not firing as if the immobiliser is stopping it then do you have another key to try?

I've just bought a 1.4 C3 for my daughter and have been amazed by the amount of information that is recorded by the computers on them as it detects faults, to gain access to this information you need to have what's called a Lexia (the Citroen diagnostic tool) several members on here have them and are willing to assist others who require a diagnosis session. I have a Lexia and have some experience with C3's so can assist you if you're anywhere near M25 J 15/16. Failing that other Lexia owners are shown here.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH