Just got a ZX Volcane 1.9TD? Minor Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mspah

Just got a ZX Volcane 1.9TD? Minor Help

Post by mspah »

Hi All,
Just got myself a Volcane 1.9TD, it's a beauty. Runs well just had to replace one of the small pipes connecting the injectors already, nothing major, was just cracked and was leaking. Anyway i've just ordered an air filter for it, but i don't have the foggiest where it's going to go, is it round or a panel filter? Halfords didn't help much, they didn't have a clue.Was thinking bout giving it a good self service, and just thought bout where i should start first?
Thanks for any help.
Matt
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Towards the front next to the battery there should be a big plastic moulding with a large pipe out the back which goes over the engine. This moulding is held together using clips around the side. This is the air filter housing, the air filter is rectangular.
mspah

Post by mspah »

Thanks for that.
Anything else worth, servicing to make it run like a dream and also am i correct in thinking that the ZX 1.9TD M Red (1994) doesn't have an ECU?
Thanks Matt
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Oil Filter / Oil Change
Fuel Filter ( in a cylinder housing held together with four bolts just to the left of the air filter )
Cambelt change ( unless you know for sure it's been done recently ).
You're right, it probably won't have an ECU, others will be able to confirm, but I think the ZX is too old to have the EGR stuff...
skypilot

Post by skypilot »

On my ZX TD the air flter is in a canister under the car at the nearside - a Volcane TD should be the same. It's easily accessed without raising the car - the lid is secured by 3 over-centre clips, which may need some WD 40 if the filter hasn't been renewed recently.
alaws

Post by alaws »

Like M Bunting said, ensure the consumables are changed.
You really do need to ensure that the filters are changed to ensure the engine is being fed with un-contaminated fuel and air.
Air filter - located under battery tray in a metal canister (opening clips located on the underside)
Fuel filter - located on the righthand side of the cylinder head. There is a bleed on the front of the canister to drain the fuel out. Essential to ensure max fuel flow to your injectors.
Oil Filter - Ensure you give the engine a good flush to get out all of the sludge if you're unsure when it was last done. For the sake of about 25p it's worth changing the sump plug washer as well.
Give the rocker cover gasket a quick check for leaks. The gasket is made from rubber, which hardens with time, and most of the upper engine leaks originate from here.
All the parts are available from GSFspares (andyspares) on the following link:
https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop
Once it's running clean there shouldn't be a problem - If there is, thats what this place is for. There is a lot of citroen experience hanging around here!!
I hope this helps
Andy