C3 hdi lower pulley vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

C3 hdi lower pulley vibration

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi. Just had a friend ring me, says that the "lower pulley" on his (daughters) 1.4 Hdi C3 seems to vibrate when idling, apparently makes a really horrible sound. Drives fine with no un-toward sounds, just the racket at idle. He says he can see pulley wheel move / shake /vibrate a bit. Could it be something easily remedied like belt tension, maybe a tensioner itself, or something more serious? It's a bit hard to tell over the 'phone so any thoughts gratefully received!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C3 hdi lower pulley vibration

Post by CitroJim »

I believe he's speaking of the the crank pulley and it'll be a dual mass pulley. It sounds like it's beginning to break up. It's a very common problem on all engines equipped with such a device.

It needs to be replaced pronto before it properly throws in the towel...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi Jim, ta for that, yes I think that you're right, it will be the crank pulley - he's talking about getting it to a friendly local garage, I'll tell him to do so soon. Is it a particularly difficult job on the C3 (not too sure about access on these)?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Monkeyfeet wrote: Is it a particularly difficult job on the C3 (not too sure about access on these)?
I can't imagine it is but I don't know for sure. DickieG will be better able to advise I reckon...

Normally the biggest problem on any Diesel pulley is the bolt being done up beyond FT...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

FT! I like that!
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Just spoken with C3 owner, he needs a sympathetic garage in the Stevenage area to take a look. Not always an easy question I know, but any recommendations please?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:DickieG will be better able to advise I reckon...
I've not had to go that deep with a C3 yet.
Monkeyfeet wrote:Just spoken with C3 owner, he needs a sympathetic garage in the Stevenage area to take a look. Not always an easy question I know, but any recommendations please?
Easy peasy on that one, BL Autos are the place to go to in that area.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks Richard, I'll pass that on.