car heater doesn't work

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cjsramside

car heater doesn't work

Post by cjsramside »

c5 2.0 estate car heater doesn't work any more it is trying to work what is wrong please help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: car heater doesn't work

Post by CitroJim »

In what way? No heat? Too much heat? No airflow? No blower? No aircon?

We need more information please, along with a detailed description of all symptoms...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cjsramside

Post by cjsramside »

the heater will try and start up a clicking noise and then stop on the display on the front three full bars will be on and then go off so will the clicking noise
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What's making the clicking noise - presumably the fan? What are the bars on the display indicating - fan speed? Does it do this at every engine start, or can you replicate it by changing the fan speed or temperature? Does the car have climate control? Have you had the fan out to see if it runs? Not sure how to get it out on a C5, but it's relatively easy on a Xantia.
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The clicking may also be the drive to the flaps, common problem for the gearing to strip.

If the fan isn't actually blowing it will likely be the control module. If it has automatic aircon then this unit sits in the corner between the center console and the bulkhead, under the dash and above the clutch pedal.
Held in by two M8 bolts (I seem to remember M8 but may be M6) that are a bit fiddly to access - a log shafted nut spinner is the easiest tool to use.

A replacement unit is around £60 now but if you extract the one fitted and examine it you may find that the two power transistors have overheated and failed.
Replacement transistors are available from RS for a few pounds and if you are handy with a soldering iron not difficult to fit.
Before swapping them examine for dry joints and solder creep on the transistor legs, bay just need resoldering but if they ave overheated they will likely be cabbaged.

The unit:

Location (automatic so no clutch pedal):

Image Image