Xantia Estate - new key required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Xantia Estate - new key required

Post by NAM »

Somehow I have lost one of my keys for the Xantia. Looked all over the place but can't find it so I wondered if anyone can recommend a cheap(er) route than asking Main Stealer?

I have the code card and one working key - well it kind of works but I have to manually lock the car (unlocking still functions from the key fob).

There seems to be plenty of places to contact via internet but has anyone else done similar and how much does it cost?

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Estate - new key required

Post by CitroJim »

I'm rather interested in the answer to this as Rattiva only has one key.

There is no problem with having a key blank cut but the problem is that the key has a chip inside that needed to be coded to the immobiliser. That's no problem for anyone with a Lexia and the code which you have. The plip is programmed in the same way.

Ideally a blank with a chip is required...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've successfully recoded Xantia 2 keys several times, as long as you have the immobiliser code Lexia can re-programme a key + remote to another car, if you have the key code (different to the immobiliser code) dealers can supply a new cut blade for about £25 ish IIRC.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As for your PLIP locking, the "Lock" switch inside the key, thats mounted on the small PCB has most likely broken off... The switches are surface mount and rely on 4 tiny blobs of solder to hold it on, and owners find - by factory theres a delay from pressing the PLIP and something happening, and owners press too hard and they break off...

I have sucessfully resoldered the switchs back onto PCBs before now..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've just ordered an uncut blade for mine. Part Number 9926 HA. £16 or thereabouts.

Get your local locksmith to cut it, crack out the Lexia to program it and job's a good 'un...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Well done Jim - £16 sounds better than the £100 I had in my mind when I first posted this thread.

So just to be sure - do I order an uncut blade from Citroen and then take to a local locksmith? The Lexia might be a problem unless I can find someone with one? I assume the uncut blade comes with the large black plastic part?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Perhaps the locksmith will have the appropriate blade in stock.
I used to regularly us Lockmaster and they had thousands of car key blanks.
It was a very large Lockmaster though, supplying to the trade.

Just looked them up and it appears that they don't do car keys anymore but are in fact the major supplier to the company I work for :oops:

I'm sure there will be a local alternative though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The blade conains the RFID chip for the immbiliser - hence the need of the Lexia to code it...

Nige, that quote was for the blade only, the one that fits into the PLIP. If you want a PLIP too I can let you have the part number for it but that'll have to wait until I'm home...

Our local locksmith (proper old-school one) certainly had Citroen cruciform blanks there last time I was in there but not the chipped ones...
Jim

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Yes Jim - if you can let me know the PLIP part number it would be helpful.

Thanks

Nige
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here we go Nige, the full works...

The PLIP you will need will be 6552 RA for deadlocking. The J type is for the Japanese market as they use a different frequency...

Hope that's OK...
Jim

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Thanks Jim - the full works indeed. I will start the process and get things ordered.

Nige
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had my new key blank (9926 HA) cut by a locksmith today.

Programmed up with the Lexia a treat...

I now have a good spare :)
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Rich or Jim or anyone, can you highlight the difference between the Key Code and the immob Code? I remember the only car I have had with the original card - a V6 xant, one entry on this I think was the key code (I can't remember the other details) - where is the immob code found? or would it have been on that card?

Dg and I were going to try and get a couple of plips from another car to work with my TD, but I am wondering if I may have wasted £25 :twisted:
I rang the dealer last week asking for an immob code and I now think they will supply a key code.. ?

john
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

and also just for more clarification on this oft discussed topic..

Is my thinking right concerning xantia phase 2 security and mobilisation..

there are 7 'parts' to the system, in simple terms..

the key - 3 parts.. the blade, the chip and the RF buttons.
4 the transmit collar on the igntion barrel
5 the ECU
6 the immob unit on the injection pump.

You can't reprgram the chip, to match the ECU, without the code.. but, with the code, any xant key can be made to mobilise any other xant?
You can't activate the alarm without the RF buttons, or obviously activate RCL..
The RF buttons can't be programmed to the ECU without our friend the immob code again?
The collar on the ignition lock is not really matched to anything, rather just carries out instructions between ECU and Key chip and key RF buttons..

are those right? :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

As I understand it, the key code is a number attached to the keyring on a stamped plate. Rarely seen nowadays... The 'immobiliser code' is the access code for programming the CPH and is supplied on a credit card with a scratch panel on it when the car is new. The code is in the form of four alpha-numeric characters (e.g. A1B2) and can be got from a stealer on production of your V5C, proof of ID and address and a sum of dosh. I was staggered at how my local stealer charges and the term stealer is used in it's right context here - £30 :shock: :shock: :evil:

The components are: PLIP for central locking/alarm set/deset. A key blade containing the RFID chip. This chis is NOT part of the PLIP but part of the key. The aerial, transponder and CPH.

Any MK2 RF Xantia PLIP can be programmed to work and so can any key blade so long as the key fits the lock. Part of the programming is that the ignition must be switched on with the key blade being programmed. The CPH 'learns' the PLIPs and key blades.

The aerial is a standard thing and needs no programming. The transponder and CPH seem to be a matched pair and I'm not sure if one or the other can be swapped and re-programmed.

I believe HDi ECUs can be programmed to the CPU but DickieG will need to confirm for sure. Not sure about the immobilisers on 1.9TDs though.

I noted my local locksmith stocks blank Citroen Cruciform keys with transponder chips. I ought to have asked him how much they were.

All this does need a Lexia. No way to do without.
Jim