Xantia 2.0 16V Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stupot
New User

Xantia 2.0 16V Estate

Post by stupot »

Have any contributors photographs or other info regarding cyl head for Xantia Est 2.0 16V (petrol) reassembly.
(I have Haynes manual but it lacks a little detail of a few points).

Cyl head removed following cam belt failure. Valves hit piston etc (+ 230,000 miles so no complaints!)
Replacement valves installed & cam box reassembled without any problems.
Now ready to install on cyl block with new streach bolts and time up.

I am usually very meticulous on disassembly but on this occasion a small component escaped my attention.
My specfic question relates to a component found in the washing down tray when cleaning off the heavily soiled parts prior to reassembly.
The component is tubular approx 12mm OD and 10 mm ID with a small flange at one end drilled through approx 5mm dia. Material bonded fabric/tufnol.
In effect a small top hat section. A steel ball was also found which may sit within this tube.

Examining the various mechanisms I can only conclude that this device serves as an oil pressure regulator or non return valve to prevent oil in the cam box feed draining back under gravity. The only logical location for this component is in the gallery adjacent to the dowel/head bolt at the cam drive end of the cyl head.
Should there also be a spring? Haynes manual makes no reference to this component and the replacement head gasket has only a simple hole which aligns with the block/head. Unfortunately I discarded the original gasket so cannot compare.
Any information from member familar with XU10 engine rebuild would be most useful.

Rgds SP
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sounds like your oilway check valve.

It pushes into the underside of the head on Xantia motors, and stops oil pressure bleeding off at rest - causing the tappets to collapse. If you've got the head bolted down, it needs to come off again - fit a new piece; they're a few quid but not exorbitant.
stupot
New User

Re: Xantia 2.0 16V Estate

Post by stupot »

Addo
Thanks for your reply, all makes sense now.
Head has not been installed. I was waiting until I had ascertained what the mystery part is.
Any idea if there should also be a spring or is it just a ball in the fibre tube falling under gravity which shuts off?
(Sorry for further questions.Just want to be certain which parts to order. Local Citroen dealer regards 1996 as a vintage car and cannot help).

Best regards Stu.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Xantia 2.0 16V Estate

Post by Old-Guy »

stupot wrote:Local Citroën dealer regards 1996 as a vintage car and cannot help.
I fear that Citroen dealers do not regard a Xantia as " a vintage car", but as an obsolete and relatively uncomplicated model that thus provides relatively little profit compared with current models - especially when it comes to supplying parts to DIY mechanics.

Vehicle manufacturers expend a great deal of effort and money on promoting the idea that old (more than 3 years old!) cars are bad for the environment (actually manufacturers and dealers wealth). Japan stands as the supreme example of the success of a motor industry's successful lobbying with a 3-year MoT test so demanding that most owners sell their cars for export after 3 years. As a result, Japanese home market vehicles have a design life of 3 years - a very good reason for never buying a 'grey' import.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It appears the correct part number is 0235.17 however there will likely be several that will fit in a pinch - including 0235.27