HDI fuel filter feed pipe removal.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

HDI fuel filter feed pipe removal.

Post by charentejohn »

I have a new fuel filter to fit but not sure how to remove the inlet pipes on the top. This is the filter with the screw off lid so I have to remove them to do it.

I didn't want to break anything and tried some gentle pulling but no movement. I see they have a fitting on the end with a sort of plastic tie as part of it ? Sometimes such pipes are just a very tight fit on a smooth inlet (with no olive type bulge) so can just be eased off.

If they need something to be released first then how do I do that, ok draining / changing the filter but not so sure on the pipework.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: HDI fuel filter feed pipe removal.

Post by RichardW »

Push the pipe in the 'on' direction, and then press in the coloured clip with a screwdriver, then you can pull the pipe off. Make sure you carefully clean out the bottom of the fuel filter bowl, as that is the clean side, but the design allows the crap from the dirty side to fall in you when remove the element.
Richard W
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks Richard, sounds a neat system, I had visions of having to buy replacement clips. I will take care to clean everything, thanks for the warning.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The filter feed pipe has as said above coloured "squeeze clip" ends which need BOTH sides squeezed in before the pipe comes away.. Then use a 21mm socket and ratchet to undo the filter top.. It only turns through 90 deg and lifts off.... The top will have some light resistance as the seal that sits in a lip at the top of the bottom half is there and needs changing.. Remember to place the gold circular spring on TOP of the filter once you fit the new filter in the lower part.....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Good info, I should be able to press both sides with 'snipe nose' narrow pliers.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes.. But do go easy.. Breakage is easy.. They can get brittle with engine heat...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

charentejohn wrote:Good info, I should be able to press both sides with 'snipe nose' narrow pliers.
No, there is a risk of breakage if you use a tool on these. How do I know? :oops: Just use fingers and nothing else...
citroenxm wrote:The top will have some light resistance
Light resistance? To what? A six-foot breaker bar? Sounds like a quote from a Haynes manual that Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine was devilishly tight. Again, go careful and use a 22mm hex (not bi-hex) socket on the filter top. Don't be surprised to meet moderate resistance!

Mind the shaped O ring on the bottom of the new filter stays in place when you reassemble. It can drop out unawares.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just one more thing, when doing a filter you will be exposed to diesel. Some people are sensitive to diesel and it can cause a nasty attack of contact dermatitis if you are so pre-disposed. Wear gloves but not latex ones as the diesel will quickly melt them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

Just a further tip for changing the HDI filter element. Once you have removed all 5 (I think) connections, the complete housing can be unclipped, and cleaning and fitting the new element done at leisure off the car. Be absolutely sure not to introduce any contamination when refitting, particularly in the feed to the high pressure pump.

Fred
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks for all the info./options.
I will see how easy it is to remove the top pipes, if easy then I may try the remove all and change the filter off the car. I can see how that would stop any muck getting into the system once the filer is moved so maybe a good option.

I read another post where they said to recharge the system using the 'grenade' bulb near the filter but I can't see one. The car has an electric fuel pump and return pipe to the tank so does this one not need to be primed, just give the pump a minute to circulate the fuel ?

I am usually ok with oil etc on my hands, only problem is that no matter how much I clean them afterwards they still smell of oil for days. I have a pack of those loose fitting clear plastic gloves for the really naff jobs like the oily quagmire under my old transit van.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Absolutley right.. Switch the ignition on and you will hear the pump run and the air expell to the tank in a gargul.... Squeeze bulbs are only fitted to the older xud td engines...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks everyone all first rate advice, for anyone doing this in future here is a summary of what I actually did. One thing I didn't do is put a jar properly under the drain tap so now have about a 0.25L diesel stain on my garage floor.

So for an HDI with plastic fuel filter holder.
Open drain tap and remove what you can, about an egg cup full at best. If you can then keep something there to catch any diesel, I didn't and it dumped a fair bit on the floor. I thought I had caught it all but I was wrong.

Remove upper feed/return pipes by pressing in the piece at the end of the hoses where they join the filter housing. If you have long-ish finger nails they will do, press the narrow bits at the end on one side and push pipes forwards then backwards, they will come off but pipes are stiff and the connectors on the filter top are about 1.5cm long so they slide a fair way.

Note the position of the top of the filter housing, mine had 'open / close' arrows on it so put it back the same way it came off.

Put a socket (hexagonal is best as top is plastic so not one that only grips the corners of the hex shape on top) on the top of the filter housing. Turn anti clockwise through 90 degrees. There is some resistance and I worried about breaking it but once moving it is okay.

Remove filter and clean out inside, I used kitchen towel to soak up excess diesel. Fit new filter, only goes in one way due to a 'spike' which fits the lower part of the filter.
Put the circular (large washer like) spring back on top of the filter, this presses it down onto the bottom seal.
Fit the new rubber 'O' ring around the filter housing top, I smeared diesel on it to give a better seal and aid tightening.

Refit the top so that the open/close marks end up in the same place as when you started.
I found this nerve racking as it requires a fair bit of pressure to tighten (90 degrees clockwise) so was again worried about damage. I was worried that I had missed the connections and was forcing the top too much.
I found pressing down as I tightened up helped so I was sure the top was seated correctly. I felt resistance through the full 90 degrees of tightening as it was obviously compressing down onto the new 'O' ring.

Reconnect the inlet/outlet pipes, make sure to push them fully up to the centre of the filter top, may need a couple of goes as the feed hoses are very rigid so can stick half way.

Turn on ignition, not engine and check for leaks. Pump runs and a few 'thumps' as air is pushed out.

If all ok start the car, took an extra turn ot two to start which I assume is just air working out of the filter element itself.

No water was present in the filter, old filter was just dirty like dust on an air filter so looks like no problems in the system just normal muck and dust.