Xantia S2 Radio Wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Xantia S2 Radio Wiring

Post by artdjones »

Had to take the radio out a couple of weeks ago to remove heater control panel to fit bulbs.I noticed that two of the speaker dual connections had extra two core wires just pushed into the back.When they were pulled out there was no sound,so I've been driving around for two years with only two speakers working.I've only had time to investigate today.The two core wires were joined into two sets of speaker wires behind the glovebox.These speaker wires have been unclipped from a 26 pin blue connector,the kind that has a latch to lock it into whatever its supposed to be joined to.This connector seems to have thespeaker wires from the radio going into it as well as the wires from the speaker but I can't see what the connector plugs into ,which would presumably join the radio to all four speakers.Has anyone come across this before when removing the dash?There are a couple of issues on the car,including this that look like they stem from a bodged dash removal.I suppose I could bridge the wires but it would be neater just to plug it in!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia S2 Radio Wiring

Post by CitroJim »

That 26 pin connector should go to the TrafficMaster module which lives up on top of the bulkhead right behind the passenger airbag and sits atop the CPH ECU. I guess somebody has tried to bypass the TrafficMaster box which intercepts the radio speakers direct to deliver it's advice...

I may have the wiring diagrams if you want to properly do the job. Sadly the TrafficMaster module is more or less inaccessible without removal of the dash. I will check later but my S2 wiring diagrams do not cover the very late models.

I've been the victim of a badly botched dash removal on my HDi :evil: daft really as they're not that hard to remove properly...

What are your other issues?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Could also be remains of an expensive hands free radio kit that was fited????

Ive not seen any extra coaxel wires on any S2 radios Ive removed...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
artdjones
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

Thanks for quick reply.I think if its only for Trafficmaster I'll just connect wires uprather than remove the dash!.The car has never given heat to the driver's and passenger's feet.Also I found the internal temperature sensor hanging down from its wires and it won't clip into the switch panel.When I bought it the lefthand duct to the side vent wasn't there.The car's demist performance has never been great either but I suppose that's down to the fact the A/C has never worked.Other than these things it's a fantastic drive but whoever took the dash out was a messer.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

artdjones wrote:The car has never given heat to the driver's and passenger's feet.Also I found the internal temperature sensor hanging down from its wires and it won't clip into the switch panel.When I bought it the lefthand duct to the side vent wasn't there.The car's demist performance has never been great either but I suppose that's down to the fact the A/C has never worked.Other than these things it's a fantastic drive but whoever took the dash out was a messer.
Sounds like the same person who had mine out :twisted: The sensor will clip into the dash panel and it's critical that it does. The trick is to know there is an index tab and this must be at 3 o'clock for the sensor to clip home. It's a fiddle though... The wires are too short.

Oddly, my LH duct was hanging nearly off too! Many of your ventilation problems will be to do with your flaps getting in a right old flap possibly because of bad bowden cables.

Have a look at this picture of a heater box: The car has been removed for clarity but you can see the flap levers after removing the wireless and ashtray.

This shows the positions of the two flaps when in full demist mode. Floor only is the same position but with the demist flap (red arrow) pointing almost vertical. In full face mode the blue lever is pulled all the way to the right. If it remains to the right all the time then demist and floor will be poor. In face and floor mode the demist flap is at 45 degrees and the blue flap lever is hard over to the left.

Flap troubles are almost always a result of kinks in the bowden cables that operate them via the slider. The cables are very critical in their adjustment. Check the operation of your flaps and then read from near the bottom of this page onwards of my Rattiva Blog for a similar story...

Do you have plenty of heat coming out of any vents?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
artdjones
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

I'm getting good heat out of the face level vents although it takes a while to warm up.i'm not sure if the auxiliary heater on the bulkhead is working.Mind you,it's two miles downhill from my house,so that probably doesn't help.The only thing that's ever warmed up quickly under those conditions was my Kangoo van and the electric heater was definitely working on that.The radio is still out so i'll shine a light through the hole tomorrow morning and look at the flaps.