Scrap Metal

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Scrap Metal

Post by ecohouse1 »

Has anyone ever sold piles of general scrap to merchants - ie not a car but say a pile of old exhausts, axles etc

I have a barrel full of brake calipers, a pile of exhausts and batteries, alternators etc - probably about 80 - 120 kgs worth.

Is it worth taking to scrap merchant and would I get anything for it?

I know scrap is worth more than it has been - even if I got £5-10 I would be quite happy!

Cheers

Alan
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Scrap Metal

Post by citronut »

i think batteries fetch about £5 quid each, and yes it certainly is worth weighing it in, if you can seperate the alloy from the other metal's you might get more for it,
also cats have individual value the last ones i disposed of fetched £20 quid each, but this depends on if they are OE, aftermarket and rattly/broken inside,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Over here, alternators are in the same scrap category as "electric motors", meaning you get paid a figure based on them averaging amounts of copper, steel and alloys in any given unit.

Bare aluminium alloys fetch quite a lot more then "irony aluminium" which is alloy parts with steel or brass bits still included (like, studs or valve seats in a head). Diecast alloys get paid similar to irony aluminium. Lead flashings and similar "pure" lead does better than tyre weights and batteries.

Plumbing copper and brass is paid differently to electrical copper, which if fully bare fetches about twice what it gets when weighed in with insulation.

Ferrous metals here only bring about $140/1000kg so barely worth the effort. Onsite the scrappy gets all our old clothes airers, gutters, roof sheets etc for nix and the "good" metals I sell offsite for beers/pizza cash to keep everyone happy.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I sold a pile of miscellaneous scrap (old appliances, a few bits of cable, sheet metal offcuts etc) a few months ago to a local dealer, who came and collected it all, and seemed quite enthusiastic to have any more in the future.
Ring round scrap dealers who advertise in your local paper - but best be quick before they bring in the 'no cash' rules.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Couple of years ago I got a few quid for a battery and car radiator from a small scrap merchant, recommended to me by the local council recycling place as they couldn't take the battery and rad. I think it was £7 for both. Both done on weight and an eye appraisal of the metals.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)